Marcus Antonius and Iulius Caesar - AR Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MarcusAntonius, Apr 22, 2021.

1. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

This was a last call, auction was nearly ended and I had been completely outbid during the entire auction when I ran in to two specimen, the Mark Antony Denarius with a clear Armenian Tiara and this Crawford 488/2 type, recognized it as from a former Austrian collection, incredible Hues for this coin type! The Crawford Crawford 488/1 remains on my desirable coin list as well.

Marcus Antonius and Iulius Caesar - AR Denarius

Obverse; M•ANTO•IMP•R•P•C

Reverse; CAESAR•DIC

These issues were struck by Marc Antony during the confused interlude following his defeat by Senatorial forces at Mutina in Northern Italy in April, 43 BC. The short, sharp war was the result of the Senate having fallen under the influence of Cicero and other anti-Caesarian forces, even though one of the consuls, Aulus Hirtius, had been a supporter of Caesar. Caesar's nephew and heir Octavian masterfully played all angles during this period and ended up benefitting when Hirtius and his consular colleague were both killed in the battle, leaving Octavian in effective command of eight Senatorial legions. Defeated but not crushed, Antony and his legions retreated into Cisalpine Gaul and played a waiting game while Octavian returned to Rome and became ensnared in Senatorial politics. Antony greatly strengthened his position by forming an alliance with another Caesarian, Marcus Aemlius Lepidus, governor of Transalpine Gaul and Spain, giving them control of 17 legions. The dual portraits of Antony and Caesar on this denarius type were no doubt intended to remind soldiers and civilians alike of Antony's unswerving loyalty to Caesar and his memory. The interlude ended seven months later when Antony, Octavian and Lepidus made common cause against Caesar's assassins and formed the Second Triumvirate.

e2e5c535b5184317b34a5a78ce939948.jpg

4beb8bde396c4cd6ab5e7ad87d6b0bcd.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Great example. Here is mine, no where near as nice as yours though.

54-3.jpg

MarcusAntonius, Bing, jdmKY and 7 others like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Are off center strikes endemic to this series?

MarcusAntonius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted