March Super Moon

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

The moon will be its fullest at 2:30 A.M. on Tuesday, meaning that a casual viewer will probably get the best look at it Monday night. March’s full moon can be called by many names: Crow Moon, Worm Moon, Crust Moon and Sap Moon are all drawn from Indigenous traditions, while Europeans historically called this the Lenten Moon. A Super moon, is a term that refers to a full or new moon that is much closer to the Earth than it is during the rest of the year. The term was coined by astrologer Richard Nolle in 1979. A Super moon is approximately 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than a “micro moon” -- a full moon that is at the point in its orbit when it is farthest away from the Earth.

This month super moon is part of a series of back-to-back super moons. April’s full moon is set to be slightly closer to the Earth than March’s, by about 0.1 per cent.Next month’s super moon will show its face on April 7. May is predicted to also have a super moon. The last day of October, the 31th, we'll be able to admire a Blue moon. It is called this way because it'll be the 2nd of 2 full moons in a single calendar month. Enough now for astronomy. I'd like to see your coins featuring the "star" of the day. Please show me your moons!

Antoninus Pius
    Moon in Cancer
    288F4127-8C37-4C26-96F7-B9DD97C7C28B.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Lovely moon last night, tonight, Monday in the UK, complete cloud cover and rain. It always seems to be the same when there are meteorite showers :dead:

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yeah, we noticed it was pretty big last nite. Took a pic from my window, and went back to sleep...

upload_2020-3-9_17-13-26.png

5. Alegandron

MOON

India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 11th C CE  Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent.jpg
    India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 11th C CE Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent

6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of crescents....
    ely2 black background.jpg
    Orodes III, 2nd Century A.D., AE Drachm 3.5 grams
    Obv: Bearded bust facing left, wearing a diademed tiara ornamented with anchor. Pellet and crescent above an anchor to the right.
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Artemis right. Greek legend around bust retrograde
    van't Haaff 16.1.1-3A
    moon3.jpg
    Bhartrdāman as mahakshatrapa, silver drachm
    Head of king right, date behind head: (off flan)
    Chaitya (3-arched hill), river below, crescent moon and sun above, Brahmi legend around
    ' rajno mahakshatrapasa rudrasenaputrasa rajno mahakshatrapasa bhartrdamnah'

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

My favorite moons, are in size, super:
    A481EA50-8E72-48DC-A48E-66984099FA55.png 737D6429-F2E0-4547-89D2-44D15504DF5E.png 27BF962F-E943-4254-A622-EC45E81D69FD.png

8. Alegandron

Ryro likes this.
  9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

As you certainly noticed, english is not my mother tongue.But since my youth, I know the expression "to make a moon". But I wasn't sure if it was only a sentence known in my little Canadian town. Now I have the answer!

Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Severus crescent and seven sisters.

SeptimiusSeverusSAECVLIFELICIT.jpg

Roman Collector, Bing, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Gosh, I was of the age group that we did moon people. And, yeah, we streaked a lot too...

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Septimius Severus 10.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE 16
    OBVERSE: AV K Λ CEVHPO, laureate head right
    REVERSE: NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICTRO, crescent and one star
    Struck at Nikopolis, 193-211 AD
    3.1g, 16mm
    Varbanov 2472, Legend D

14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My latest moon. Of course it's a Faustina! This coin comes in both bare-headed and veiled bust types, as is typical for the coins of Faustina I issued during the period immediately after her death.

[​IMG]
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman Æ as, 12.20 g.
    Rome, AD 140.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA •, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: S C beneath crescent and seven stars.
    Refs: RIC 1199a; BMCRE 1476-77; Cohen 275; Strack 1249; RCV 4658; Dinsdale 018920.

BenSi, Andres2, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Turkoman figural representation of the moon, or a guy eating a watermelon?

[​IMG]
    ISLAMIC, Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk)
    ZENGIDS OF MOSUL. 'Izz al-Din Mas'ud I (AH 576-589 / AD 1180-1193)
    AE Dirhem. 13.81g, 27.8mm. al-Mawsil mint, dated AH 585 (AD 1189/90). Spenger & Sayles Type 63.1; Album 1863.2; Whelan Type II. O: Crowned Turkish female figure, holding crescent-circle, seated facing between two stars; mint formula and AH date around. R: Kalima and name and titles of Abbasid caliph and Abbasid heir presumptive in five lines; name and titles of Ayyubid overlord (al-Nasr Yusuf bin Ayyub [Saladin]) and 'Izz al-Din Mas'ud I in margins.
    Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

16. Alegandron

LOL, I remember winning a few watermelon eating contests at county fairs when I was a kid.

LOL, I can see the huge grin that was circulation-worn off your guy!

Roman Collector and zumbly like this.
  17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Speaking of the moon, here's a pic I shot a couple of days ago through my 10" Dobsonian reflector with my google phone...

moon29.jpg

Eyepiece was a bit dewy...my first attempt at astrophotography.

Pishpash, Johndakerftw and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted