March of dimes three coins set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by anchor1112, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

It's gone. Too late to re order some. Let's focus on Truman chronicles coin set. Same reverse proof. Mintage maximum only 17,000 against march of dime 75,000.

3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely pleased with the overall quality of my sets after opening them and taking a look. Perhaps QC was asleep or the packagers just didn't care. I don't expect perfect 70's but coins free of easily noticeable flaws would have been nice.
    IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0459.JPG

Doesn't really look like a scratch here maybe a flaw with the planchet or something but still it's really noticeable right on the forehead. IMG_0471.JPG

At first I thought this was just a stray fiber in the capsule on this dime. So I opened it to try and blow it out with some air and it wasn't a fiber. I still can't tell if it's just a strange looking scratch or perhaps something struck in there as parts appear raised. But there is also that nice black line over Roosevelt's face also.
    IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

Another W proof dime not pictured here has an easily visible scratch on the reverse also. So that's four separate dimes with some issues. There's also a strange issue with two other RP dimes that I'll post in a second reply post in a minute that I'm wondering if anyone else has seen on their coins.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wow. When they said "March of Dimes set", I didn't think they meant that the mint workers would be marching on the dimes...

Hope1275, 132andBush and Blissskr like this.
  5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was just a spot present on one coin I was looking at. Until I noticed a very similar looking spot on a separate coin. So I opened them and took a closer look. From the pictures you can't really tell very well but using a loupe it was easy enough to see that the spots are actually indented into the dimes. Who knows what happened here. IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0539.JPG

6. Wow, that looks like a UFO in that field. Hope that is some sort of variety and not bad quality. TC

7. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Don't look good maybe the later batch will look better.

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Clearly, you have the very rare "dot under F" variety.

9. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

10. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

I have to check mine too.

11. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

Opsss.... Mine do not have a dot.

12. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

Mint reported 74,664 sold.

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

14. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

Sorry to hear of the quality issues on your coins. I copped four sets and all coins are utterly perfect. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted