March Madness - Diocletian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I still have a few coins to show from my spending spree in March. This one is a very pretty Diocletian AE Follis still showing some of the silver wash. It was hard to capture the silvering in the images, but these were the best I could take. I got this one from the same dealer from which I bought the Galerius Follis I showed last week. And like the Galerius, I offered half of the asking price and it was accepted.

Diocletian 7 OBV.jpg Diocletian 7 REV.jpg
    DIOCLETIAN
    AE27 Silvered Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: GENIO POPV-L-IROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera & cornucopia, HTA in ex.
    Struck at Heraclea, 296-297 AD
    9.3g, 27mm
    RIC VI 19a

As always, post your Diocletian's, Genio's, or anything else you deem appropriate.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, mine is just an ant.

[​IMG]
    Diocletian
    Silvered antoninianus, RIC V 322, VF, weight 3.721 g, maximum diameter 21.6 mm, die axis 180o Obverse IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG,Jupiter stg R hldg globe and scepter; Hercules stg L hldg Victory, club,& lionskin, crescent & Z in center, XXI in ex. XXI in ex.

Eng, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 8 others like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My, that's a sharp looking portrait. Diocletian's hair looks like it could draw blood.

5. Bing

I always like a reverse where the facial features are visible of whichever god. In this case, Genius does have a face.

stevex6 likes this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin Bing. You know you've got a good strike when you can see Genius' six-pack. That's a coin I would welcome in my collection. I have a few Genio types of other Tetrarchs, but of Diocletian I've only collected a couple bargain-bin ants, nowhere near as nice as Mat's. The second has a dramatic reverse double-strike.

dioncletianric306.jpg diodouble.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Eng, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 9 others like this.
  7. John Anthony

Here are my two favorite GENIO POPVLI ROMANI types, of Constantius I and Galerius. Like I said, I don't have one for Diocletian - a situation I need to rectify.

chlorus (2).jpg galerius.jpg

Eng, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 8 others like this.
  8. John Anthony

Here's a coin of Maximinus II, Genius holding head of Sol. This was a ten-buck eBay score, and the interesting thing to me about this coin was how the engraver carefully put six fruits in the cornucopia. :)

max1a.jpg

Eng, dlhill132, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  9. Bing

All of those are nice coin JA, but $10 for that Maximinus II is really the bomb. Also the detail on the Galerius, six-pack and junk, is really nice.

10. John Anthony

Yeah, I paid full retail for that one, but sometimes desire trumps sensibility.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

These larger and well-struck LRBs are growing on me. I only have one, the GENIO reverse of Maximianus.

[​IMG]
    Maximianus
    CE 286-305

AE follis, 9.9 gm, 27 mm
    Obv: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left holding cornucopia and pouring from a patera; XXI in left field, E in right field, ALE in exergue
    Mint: Alexandria
    Ref: RIC VI 30b

Eng, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  12. John Anthony

Lovely coin, TIF!

TIF likes this.
  13. John Anthony

This is an exceptional coin. I need to stop rummaging around in junk bins and get an example of this type with full silvering and sharp detail.

14. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Look at the neck on that guy!

TIF likes this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice chunks all !

For Diocletian, apart from the argenteus I've already shown a few days ago, I have an antoniniananus :

[​IMG]
    Diocletian, Antoninianus Siscia mint, 1st officina, AD 285-287
    IMP CC VAL DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG, Radiate and draped bust of Diocletianus right
    CLEMENTIA TEMP, Diocletianus facing Jupiter giving him a Victory. A in field, XXI at exergue
    4,61 gr
    Ref : Cohen #19, RCV # 12630 (40), RIC V, Part 2, 252

And a follis that I particularly like because it's a late issue in Diocletian's life and the facial features are of an old man, well rendered and lifelike IMO, but also because of it's unique and deep dark chocolate patina (maybe the picture doesn't do it justice)

[​IMG]
    Diocletian, Follis Alexandria mint, 2nd officina, c. AD 304-305
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Laureate bust of Diocletianus right
    IOVI CONS CAES, Jupiter standing left, holding victory and spear. B in right field S | P in lower field, ALE at exergue
    11.21 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 173, RCV # 12805 (180), RIC VI # 41

Q

Eng, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 9 others like this.
  16. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Cool pieces all.

17. Bing

A couple of my other Diocletian's

Diocletian 5.jpg
    DIOCLETIAN
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: IOVI CONSER AVGG, Jupiter naked,standing facing, looking right,holding thunderbolt & sceptre eagle at foot with wreath in beak, XXIA in ex.
    Struck at Rome 292 AD
    2.9g, 21.5mm
    RIC V Part II 166
    Diocletian 5.jpg
    DIOCLETIAN
    AE Follis
    OBVERSE: DN DIOCLETIANO BAEATISSIMO SEN AVG, laureate bust right in imperial mantle, holding olive branch & mappa
    REVERSE: PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG, Providentia standing right, extending right hand to Quies standing left, branch downward in right hand, leaning left on vertical sceptre, pellet in right field, TT in ex.
    Struck at Ticinum, 305 AD
    6.8g, 28mm
    RIC VI 56a

Eng, Mikey Zee, Gil-galad and 6 others like this.
  18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I don't have any Diocletian coins left, all I have is the one Argenteus I posted a in a thread a few days ago. It's real silver!!!

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very sweet details on that new coin bing.....dig it!

here's my favorite coin of the style, a costantine I with Jupiter 10 pack abs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eng, dlhill132, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  20. Bing

I count a 12 pack. Nice coin Chris.

21. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hi bing and rest of gang,

Very very nice coins

Draft saved Draft deleted