Marc Antony Denarius - Correct Size and Weight?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JGGonzalez, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JGGonzalez

JGGonzalez Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I bought the denarius pictured below from a dealer on www.vcoins.com. Since the coin was shipped from England, I had to wait two looong weeks for it to arrive. Now that I have it in hand, I"m wondering about the size. The style seems okay, but it looks slightly undersized at 16mm x 17mm and 3.82g.

Now I know Antony probably struck millions of these while wintering at Petrae and had to stretch his metal supply as far as he could, but I haven't handled enough of these to tell if an undersized flan is common in this series. What do the rest of you think?

Thanks,

Joe

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I don't know much about these coins, but yours is heavier than the one in my collection:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Denarius
    Traveling legionary mint
    Obv: ANT AVG / IIIVIR RPC - Galley
    Rev: LEG XIX - Legionary eagle between two standards
    17mm, 3.4g.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I own several of these legionary denarii. The weight and the size vary substantially in this series. I have a couple that are 20mm and some that are 16mm, with many in 17mm to 18mm range. Weight-wise, mine weigh from 2.9g to 3.8g. There obviously was a standard, but I don't believe there was consistent QC when these were struck. The fabric of your coin looks normal for this issue. Here is mine from the same legion:
    Marcus Antonius  1.jpg
    MARCUS ANTONIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley, thyrsos behind prow
    REVERSE: LEG XI, eagle between standards
    Patrae 32-31 BC
    3.05g, 16mm
    RSC 27

5. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Your coin is fine, everything is well within the very wide tolerances of the issue..

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just to reinforce the point of variations, I bought this one because it was just a bit odd - wide and thin. Professionally done coins of the Republic were struck so many to the pound with less emphasis on keeping every one exactly like every other one. Add to that the fact that Antony was running a high stress operation and it is no wonder we get variations. The most interesting part to me is that his relatively poor alloy meant people spent his coins and saved ones with better silver resulting these denarii still circulated centuries later. We see a lot of them worn almost smooth.
    ra8380bb0342.jpg

7. JGGonzalez

JGGonzalez Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input. The dealer was Den of Antiquity and they seem like an honest shop, but I was a little taken aback by the small size of the flan. I'm used to later denarii that are a little larger in diameter. Thanks for the confirmation.

Carl Wilmont likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Weights in grains (but converted to grams) of Marc Antony legionary denarii sampled by John Yonge Akerman: 3.43, 3.82, 3.50, 3.63, 3.43, 3.63, 3.82, 3.50, 3.63.

Average 3.60 grams.

Carl Wilmont and Marsyas Mike like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My Legio X

upload_2017-2-1_21-17-43.png
    RImp Marc Antony 32-31 BCE AR Legio X Equestris - Caesar Denarius B bankers mark Eagle Galley Standards 3.6g 18mm

10. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I know this might not be of interest to many, but this "alternative" history of Marc Antony is a short, but thought-provoking read. The essay by Professor Josiah Ober "Not by a Nose: The Triumph of Antony and Cleopatra at Actium 33 BC" is worth a read by any fan of Marc Anthony.

http://web.stanford.edu/group/dispersed_author/docs/NotbyANose_Ober.pdf

Our view of Mark Antony has been definitely been shaped by Octavian (the eventual victor) with the aid of writers such as Plutarch.

Great coins. Embrace the history.

zumbly and Ajax like this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

The OP coin looks fine to me.

Here is mine

Mark Antony. Denarius, (18.16 mm 3.45g). Mint moving with Antony, 32-31 BC.

Obv: ANT AVG III VIR R P C Galley right.

Rev: LEG XII ANTIQVAE Legionary eagle between two standards.

Crawford 544/9. Sydenham 1231. Sear, Imperators 363. SRCV I (2000) 1480 RSC 40
    MA Antiquae.jpg

12. Danielprice

Danielprice New Member

Hi I actually got one today, it is 17mm x 19mm and weight = 3.01 grams it is very smooth and I believe cleaned as it was sold as a metal detecting find I think, (must check again) but was listed as unknown coin but I knew it's meant to be a denarius of Mark Antony so took the chance, I see a small chip in the metal on the side revealing the same looking metal silver inside although possibly coated in more silver!?
    I'm not an expert so if I can get an opinion if its believed to be real or fake I'd be grateful. Also on a couple of spaces it looks although corrosion has taken place making me think it was either dug up and cleaned or if fake then possibly burned?
    Thanks for any answers

Attached Files:

Carl Wilmont and Broucheion like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I cannot see much from your photos, @Danielprice . But welcome to CT Ancients.

[​IMG]
    Roman Imperatorial
    Marcus Antonius
    AR Denarius
    32-31 BCE
    Legio III Ship Eagle Standards
    Sear 1479 Craw 544-15

14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

CT answers seem to be in your favor great.

15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@Danielprice welcome to CT Ancients. I think your coin looks like this one -
    2397199.jpg
    coin from Roma auction 9, their description:
    Marc Antony Legionary AR Denarius. Praetorian galley to right / CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM, One of the rarest of the legionary denarii

Your coin:
    MA dan obv.jpg MA dan 2 obv.jpg MA dan rev.jpg

16. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

This one is 18mm, 3.75g:

Antony Denarius Obverse  B.jpg
    Antony Denarius Reverse B.jpg
    Mark Antony, 44-30 BC,
    Trriumvir and Imperator.
    AR Denarius, 18mm, 3.75g, 12h; Patrae (?) mint, 32-31 BC.
    Obv.: ANT●AVG / III●VIR●R●P●C; Galley right with rowers, mast with banners at prow.
    Rev.: LEG – VII; Aquila (legionary eagle) between two legionary standards.
    Reference: Crawford 544/20.
    From the Sallent Collection, ex-FORVM

rrdenarius, Bing, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  17. Dafydd

Dafydd Supporter! Supporter

I’ve bought some some coins from Den of Antiquity and traded several and they have all been good over the years. they have a reputation over here of being pricey but worry free.

18. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

27F0BDB3-0161-4B7A-877B-3FEF37514543.gif

Thank you for reviving this interesting thread. I vaguely remember reading that the Antony denarii were found in later hoards scattered throughout the Empire. Maybe I’m mistaken, but if true, I’m surprised that these coins were still prized and may have circulated years after his defeat at the Battle of Actium.

If I understood Doug correctly, they had a lower quality of silver. They may have been kept, therefore, as much for sentimental reasons as a circulating coin. Maybe their later use would have been more accepted in the eastern part of the Empire were Antony was more popular.

I’m surprised that the Antony coinage would have been allowed to circulate freely after his defeat. That said, Augustus never invoked damnatio memoriae against Antony, which may explain a possible later widespread acceptance of his coinage despite his being deemed “an enemy of the state.”

https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1044&context=discentesjournal

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  19. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

OP coin looks good. I have also bought from Den of Antiquity without issue and consider them to be a reputable seller.

Congrats to @Danielprice for snagging what looks to be a pretty significant coin! A great start for your budding collection! From the details that one looks to be beat up, but genuine as well.

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto. However, they have gotten a little pricy since I first purchased from them.

21. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Here is a Roman coin hoard found in Wales in 2015 that (reportedly) contained at least one Marc Antony denarius. The latest coin in the hoard was of Marcus Aurelius (reign 160-180 AD), more than a century after Antony’s death.

This hoard supports the theory that Antony denarii circulated in the Empire long after his ignominious death.

8C14EF99-A544-4CFD-B686-416E5B280EE5.jpeg E60FCC76-AFB0-411B-A8A6-0B8B33F802EE.jpeg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...money-issued-Marc-Antony-2-000-years-ago.html

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Roman Collector and Dafydd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted