Many Coin Errors!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by frap123, May 24, 2015.

1. frap123

frap123 Member

Hello all I'm submitting a few pics but had a question as usual it may be a dumb question but here it goes

I'm starting to think if the mint catches on to an error there made they try to mangle/add some type of chemical to distort it cause I've been noticing a pattern it may just be me but ill go through a majority of my coins one day and post what i mean

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's more likely that the composition of these coins was subjected to similar environmental conditions which made them discolor/corrode/or whatever. I doubt that RCM employees would stand along the transport mechanism looking for the one-in-a-million mistake. That would be like watching newly-hatched salmon in a fast-running stream making their way to the ocean.

Chris

19Lyds and paddyman98 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have thousands of coins (American and a handful of Canadian) that I have dug up metal detecting. There are all kinds of environmental circumstances that can create damage on coins. Weird colors, zinc rot, scratches, dents, heat from the sun, blisters. Coins being buried for years will create all kinds of ugly effects. Coins will not maintain the luster they had when freshly minted. Unless you find silver or gold that has been buried in a nice safe spot. Like Chris has stated discoloration and corrosion due in part because of environmental exposure. I know the US mint does this - canceled Waffles!
    waffle_1.jpg

loopytoad74 likes this.
  5. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Those were left in water too long :)

Kentucky likes this.
  6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I've read that the Mint "waffle" canceled bad strikes. These were sold with the stipulation that the coins were to be melted for scrap metal. Since there are so many of them available, if this is indeed the case, someone ain't playing fair!

Am I wrong in that, or does anyone else know different?

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Sorry, but I can't see whatever error you might be referring too.

8. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

Now thats my kinda coin paddyman.loving that little beauty.[emoji7]

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here are 2 that I have posted before that I own. One is actually labeled a Mint Error.
    sac.JPG PR.JPG

loopytoad74 likes this.
  10. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

How does that happen..??
    They're toptastic..you big tease.[emoji12]

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Once the mint waffles them they consider them just so much scrap metal. Once they are sold they are the property of the buyer to do with as they please. Usually they are purchased by the same people who manufacture the coinage strip and they just recycle it into the new strip. But anyone can buy it. (But what would the average person do with literally TONS of metal scrap? Only part of which would be waffled coins, most of it would be tons of chopped up strip webbing.)

Draft saved Draft deleted