Manuel I Comnenus Æ Tetarteron

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ewomack, May 26, 2023.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

This Byzantine has a few gouges in the flan, but I overall like what remains of the portraits. The text, at least the one section not missing, looks pretty legible. The price/quality ratio suited me. I don't have any Byzantines later than this one (yet).

1143_to_1183_Comnenus_tetarteron_01.png 1143_to_1183_Comnenus_tetarteron_02.png
    Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1183), Æ Tetarteron; Thessalonica; Obv: ⨀/Γ/Є to left and P-over-w/Γ/O/S to right, half-length bust of St. George facing, holding spear and shield ; Rev: MANɣHΛ ΔЄCΠΟΤ, bust of Manuel facing, holding labarum and globus cruciger; 20 mm,3.24g; DOC 18; Sear 1975

Curtis, GinoLR, BenSi and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Homer2

Homer2 Well-Known Member

The details are very nice on that. Listening to the History of Byzantium podcast has really sparked my interest in the Eastern and Late Roman period. Congrats!

paschka and ewomack like this.
  4. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Minted during the reign of Manuel I between 8 April 1143 – 24 September 1180. Obv. Bust of St. George facing, beardless, wearing nimbus, tunic, cuirass and sagion, and holder spear and shield; to l., O/r/E; to r., w/ri/o/s Rev. MANXHA AECTIOT. Bust facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding labarum and gl.cr. BCVS #1975
    upload_2023-5-27_14-6-55.png upload_2023-5-27_14-7-12.png
    upload_2023-5-27_14-7-45.png upload_2023-5-27_14-7-58.png

ewomack, GinoLR, BenSi and 3 others like this.
  5. sand

sand Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Are those your photos on the left, and the seller photos on the right? Is it the lighting, which causes the color to appear so different, between the 2 sets of photos (green versus brown)?

Jims Coins likes this.
  6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

7. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Brown is, you can probably guess: Frank S. Robinson
    VF, chiplike edge irregularity taking a piece out of Manuel's head; George's portrait well detailed;
    dark greenish patina.

sand likes this.
  8. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Very good specimens of this 12th c. bronze coin ! The legend MΛNɤHΛ is clearly visible.

Jims Coins and ewomack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted