Manilla Slave Token

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

While not exactly a coin, these pieces were used as currency for purchase of human slaves during the slave trade. It has become part of my educational collection, thanks to @PaddyB , and will be paired with our study of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. There's even a line in the novella which discusses how the natives were paid with essentially worthless brass wire.
    IMG_20190603_163852.jpg IMG_20190603_163914.jpg IMG_20190603_163929.jpg

SorenCoins, alurid and PaddyB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wonder why one would need one of those to make a purchase? Here's one of my slave tokens, actually it's one I sold awhile back but I have a couple more somewhere in my stuff. :D

5201788 Serve 0744-R.jpg 52001788 744-O.jpg

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I don't think that's a slave token. Just a Barbados penny. I've wanted one for awhile.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I had been looking for info on these for a friend a few weeks ago. It was quite interesting research.
    20190416_160041.jpg

6. Mark Metzger

Yours is quite a bit cleaner than mine...I guess a century in the ocean will do that...

alurid likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It must have been hard to find any Barbadoes Penny in Africa.

10. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Those are fascinating!

11. Mark Metzger

I actually ended up purchasing a Katanga cross through an overseas auction earlier this week that was listed with two slave manillas. It should arrive in a couple weeks.
    Screenshot_20190607-151213.png

12. SorenCoins

Woah! Katanga cross is on my wish list at some point once I can actually afford one. They are crazy!

13. Mark Metzger

I justified the expense because I will be using it in my classroom.

SorenCoins likes this.
  14. SorenCoins

Oh how cool! What do you teach?

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

This for me is up there with Nazi coinage. Very interesting and unique piece of history, but I’m not certain I could ever actively seek this stuff out. Thanks for sharing.

Trish likes this.
  16. Mark Metzger

I completely agree. Typically I would never own such relics of human greed and depravity, but it will be used in an educational setting so an exception will be made. I teach high school literature and have sought to obtain a coin to correspond with each work I teach, be it contemporary to the novels’ setting or the novels’ era of publication. It allows my students to make a tangible connection to the literature, and, hopefully in the case of the Manilla, a deeper connection altogether. The way I see it, the study of literature can be many things, historical, intellectual, rhetorical, etc.; however, I see its most important trait as a tool for the development of empathy.
    Literature asks us to consider the experience of others. It is one thing to ask a group of students to read Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness and analyze the manner in which the author characterizes the native Africans. It’s another thing altogether to put an artifact of the very slave trade they are reading about in their hands, ask them to close their eyes and listen to the sounds of actual human suffering. Hopefully these artifacts will transport my students across the thresholds of time and fiction to gain a greater understanding of the consequences of our behavior.

Trish and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I understand. It’s nice to have tangible connections to history. That’s why I collect:) FYI, Heart of Darkness is one of my all time favorite books.

18. Mark Metzger

It’s a tough text to get through despite its very short length, as you know. I could spend an entire semester on it. There is so much to unpack and analyze, it is staggering.

buckeye73, Trish and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted