Manchoukuo

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, May 17, 2015.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Manchoukuo was the China-Japanese puppet state on the territory of China. Independence of Manchoukuo was proclaimed at March 1 1932. Until March 1 1934 Manchoukuo wasn't monarchy: the last emperor of China (his name was P'u-yi) became the Supreme governor at March 9 1932. But at March 1 1934 he became the emperor of Manchoukuo.
    Manchoukuo was recognized by 23 states: Japan, USSR, El Salvador, Dominicana, Germany, Italy, France, Hungary, Croatia, Slovakia, Spain, Vatican City, Bulgaria, Finland, Denmark, Romania, Thailand and other states.
    Manchoukuo was the China-Japanese puppet state on the territory of China. Independence of Manchoukuo was proclaimed at March 1 1932. Until March 1 1934 Manchoukuo wasn't monarchy: the last emperor of China (his name was P'u-yi) became the Supreme governor at March 1 1932. But at March 1 1934 he became the emperor of Manchoukuo.
    Manchukuo was the state, dependent on Japan. Every minister of the government of Manchukuo was under the control of his Japanese assistant.
    But at the same time Manchukuo has an own currency - yuan of Manchukuo. Monetary system was rather difficult: 10 li = 1 fen, 10 fen = 1 chiao, 10 chiao = 1 yuan.
    Manchukuo as the Japanese ally was liberated by Soviet Red Army at August 1945, and was joined to China.

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

1 fen.
    Aluminium. Coins of this type were released at 1939-43.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Siberian Man

10 fen (chiao).
    Aluminium. Coins of this type were released at 1940-1943.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      104.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
    spirityoda likes this.
  5. Siberian Man

10 fen (chiao).
    Copper-nickel. Coins of this type were released at 1934-35 and 1938-39.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      86.8 KB
      Views:
    medjoy, chrisild and spirityoda like this.
  6. Siberian Man

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The first type of 1 jiao was actually struck in 1933 till 1939, not 1934.

For a complete list of Manchukuo that were struck, please see here:
    http://issuu.com/gxseries/docs/manchukuo_year_coin_album

The only coin that I am looking for is the 1939 5 li. This one is unfortunately a counterfeit. I had to miss an opportunity to get my hands on a low grade coin for a few hundred dollars - it's that scarce. Some coins took a lot of effort to hunt down.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Thanks for those posts! Don't find the coins to be very attractive, design wise, but the (hi)story behind them sure makes them interesting. Now the above setup is not all that complicated in my opinion; we have had worse in Europe. ;) Besides, it is pretty much what China has today: 1 yuán = 10 jiǎo = 100 fēn ...

Christian

9. Siberian Man

1 fen 1936, bronze, weight - 4,9 g., size - 24 mm, thickness - 1,46 mm, mintage unknown. Coins of this type were released at 1934-39.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      42.7 KB
      Views:
    chrisild likes this.
  10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

That reminded me - thanks for popping this thread up Siberian Man.

I've managed to complete this set which is just 50 coins. This is absurdly harder than what Krause reckons. If you like a challenge - this is just hard. A type set is somewhat "doable" and completing all 50 in another story.

Some underrated coins are

5 li: 1933 (this is hard), 1936, 1939
    1 fen: 1933 (this is hard too), 1939, 1943 (Aluminum - new type), 1944 (Aluminum)
    5 fen: 1933 (somewhat scarce?), 1943 (both old and new), 1944 (Aluminum)
    1 jiao: 1943 (old type), 1943 (new type - disappeared from market?)

For some reason the fiber coins are way overrated compared to the coins I've mentioned. This is a conclusion that I've made after hunting them down for more than 5 years. (Yes, it's some perseverance I had)

I'll have to redesign the album as it's an older format. Some of the coins are outdated as I've upgraded. Another work in progress...

Siberian Man likes this.
  11. Siberian Man

10 fen (1 chiao) 1943, aluminium, weight - 1 g., size - 22 mm, thickness - 1 mm, mintage uncknown. Single release.
    5.jpg 6.jpg

gxseries likes this.
  12. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

A bit of damage and some aluminum oxidization but a nice coin. :) For some reason this particular coin is starting to be somewhat uncommon...

Draft saved Draft deleted