Man diss a purdy quarter!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Man diss a purdy quarter!

"Purdy spensive!"

Paddy54, spirityoda and phankins11 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I've thought about making a scale similar to Shelton's that describes the value of such. It would be along the lines of:
    1. GM = Good Money
    2. AM = Alot Of Money
    3. BM = Big Money
    4. CM = Crazy Money
    5. SM = Stupid Money

Paddy54, Santinidollar and spirityoda like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

thank you i needed this laugh. :hilarious:

Hommer likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Ouch that one hurts. Was one of those submissions by any chance in the first half of last year?

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Mid last year, I think. I thought it was a 65!

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I am not surprised. IMO there are a lot of coins from that time frame that will be future crakouts/upgrades. They were absolutely brutal on coins during that period

8. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

A pretty coin no doubt, but if it were me I'd just get a MS66 for 1% of the cost of that MS68. I think I could lower my standards some to save 99%, especially since I can't easily tell the difference between a MS66 and a MS68.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK I think we have "dissed" it enough.

10. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The '68-D quarter comes very nice. Top end specimens are "common" and often highly PL. Luster is very fine and very deep while strikes can be superb.

But there's certainly a difference between MS-66 and MS-67 and the TPG's will usually get it right unless it's a tweener.

phankins11 likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good grief. The truly good coins that could have been bought with $8,800....

Markus1959 likes this.
  12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The coins that come back in different grades all the times are the ones with attributes that are all over the board. If a coin is a solid Gem but has a weak strike or it has questionable surfaces it can easily be graded differently dependent on the grader and his perspective. But If a coin is Gem in all categories it will grade about the same everytime.

Coins are all unique and how the various attributes are rated varies over time and individual preferences.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

...Like 1000 1968 mint sets. One of these would have a nice PL Denver quarter in MS-67. There would be other treasures as well.

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the toning unattractive. I can't imagine spending $50 on the coin, let alone $8K+.

15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This. To each his own, however. Whatever trips your trigger.

Draft saved Draft deleted