Man diss a purdy quarter!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Feb 18, 2016.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

looks like someone took a blow torch to it...

4. phankins11

Are you questioning PCGS's opinion on the grade and nature of the toning? GASP! :D

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Not at that price

spirityoda likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Way to much for a coin that's not even silver about $8800 too much if you ask me

Paddy54 and spirityoda like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think it's sort of ugly. Who would buy that when you can spend the same amount and get a true classic rarity?

Paddy54 and spirityoda like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In that grade that quarter is just as rare if not rarer than the classics, there are only 6 of them currently.

I am not a Washington Quarter fan, but I certainly understand how difficult it is to locate ones of that quality. You could search bags and bags and bags of 68-Ds and never pull a single MS 68. You likely would not even pull a MS 67 that only has 151 graded and more than likely quite a few of those were regrades trying for the 68.

tommyc03, phankins11 and Kasia like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Sure, it's a grade rarity, but according to whom? You and me? I've seen MS66'S that look better and can be had for $25. We should take a pole.... who would rather have this quarter and who would rather have a 1856 flying eagle cent? Or a MS65+ bust half? Or a key date Morgan in AU58? Etc...

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'd take any and all of these and more. I'd take a low grade standing quarter over this thing or ANY silver quarter. In my opinion anything over $10 is way too much

11. baseball21

According to grading.

That would be a pointless poll, its no secret clad moderns (even though that coin is almost a half century old) have a bad rap and the majority of long time collectors prefer classics. I prefer classics as well, but I won't diminish the rarity of a clad coin or those who collect them and can understand the price of such a grade rarity.

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think we're on the same page. I have deeper thoughts on this, though. If this coin was cracked and resubmitted 10 times, I bet it would come back in 3 different grades. I know, it's all just conjecture, but on any given day, my made up example of a choice toned MS66 could supplant this MS68...
    To me, coins like this 68-D are for plastic collectors more than anything. But maybe I'm wrong. After all PCGS price guide on this coin is less than half of what it sold for.

13. baseball21

A 67 maybe if the toning was spectacular, that isn't unheard of but usually not a jump from a common grade to the top one. They get super tight with top grades and big value jumps in any series and I think a lot of people would be surprised at how consistent they are in those grade areas.

A couple years ago I had a CAC plus grade coin that had a several thousand dollar value jump if it got the next grade up. I tried 4 different times before giving up but all 4 times over the course of several months came back with the exact same grade on raw submissions. And yes I actually did send those labels in to get them removed from the population lol.

Price guides are really irrelevant for top Pops of any series. All it takes is one extra bidder and it sells for moon money, or one less bidder and it sells for what seems like a bargain.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Even for a PCGS, stupid money

spirityoda likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Or if it's a NGC MS68, and it flops....

16. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

Someone has more dollars than good sense.

17. baseball21

Lol true. I like their classic grading, their modern grading not so much.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A lot of us have tried this, to no avail. I think I finally learned my lesson when one came back a grade lower two times in a row and I couldn't get it back to where it was in the first place and lost about $800. These days I think we can only get top pops if the grader's got a raise and also "got lucky" the night before. Lol.

mark_h and Mainebill like this.
  19. baseball21

There probably is some truth to that now a days with the rise in the top pop modern values and just them tightening up in general moderns or classics are going to take stunners to even have a shot. With classics I probably wouldn't even submit at the moment if I thought it could be top pop. After all those Pogue coins ect over the last year it will likely need to be a slam dunk no brainer.

Ouch. I've been successful more often than I have failed but that one was the biggest value jump I have ever tried. I have one right now that is there that will likely hurt a little bit. Cracked it out of an NGC slab and under the prong a rim issue was hiding which may have been netted hence being undergraded. Hopefully it just gets netted again as it is not a slam dunk for details but I won't be the least bit surprised if it doesn't straight grade.

20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My big loss was a 1875-S 20 cent piece in MS64 that got a 62 and a 62+ upon being resubmitted Unreal....

21. phankins11

Wow...Interesting opinions. I think the coin is B-E-A-Utiful...

Draft saved Draft deleted