Man, can someone spell t-o-o-l-i-n-g?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by medoraman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yeah thats pretty obvious, lol.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You have to love the font selection on the reverse.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

It's a real shame that a coin survives almost 2,000 years just to be destroyed by someone looking to make a buck.

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

In fairness though, its amazing the hords of ancients they find. i don't know if that particlar coin is common.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. I like how reputable dealers always list bidders as private... not.

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

10. The Social Pro

The Social Pro New Member

So apparently I cannot refer to myself as the shortened version of HEBREW. I apologize if anyone was offended at me shortening my nationalities name like every HEBREW does.

Please know that the alternative "J" word, I put it like that because I'm not sure about the rules surrounding it, is most often used and accepted, but is actually is the slang offensive term to many of us due to its history and tone in peoples voices when they use it. Even still, we accept it. However, using HEBREW, and then shortening to what I now have to apparently refer to as the "H" word lest I receive any more rebukes from moderators, it is viewed by EVERY HEBREW as an endearing term opposed to the shortened term for Jewish peoples which I will refer to as the "J" word yet I can guarantee is riddled throughout this forum.

Thank you for listening, and once again, I apologize if I offended anyone who is obviously not HEBREW.

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, it was a classic line anyway... but since your entire post was deleted, I think the political overtunes were deemed inappropriate.

12. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Aww shucks! I can't spell it. But I'll give it a shot.

Tee Dash Oh Dash Oh Dash El Dash Eye Dash En Dash Gee

13. The Social Pro

Nah, I had a quick talk with the Mod, great guy btw, and it was determined that he has to error on the side of caution which is totally understandable.

I happen to know though that he has to do that because some people are overly sensitive and need to feel good about themselves to complain over things they know nothing about/are ignorant/just need a hug? ;)

He did want to compare it to the "N" word, but I had to further explain that what makes the "N" word a HORRIBLE word to use is its HISTORY. Similarly, the "J" word is the same because of its HISTORY. We Jewish peoples do not like the "J" word, yet I guarantee you EVERYONE here uses it out of total ignorance.

So for your and hopefully others education, the "H" word, once again is an endearing term that Hebrews use for many reasons, including to counter the negative "J" word. But like any shortened word for cultural peoples, it all depends on the attitude one uses it with.

As far as the political aspect... Nobody wants to endear themselves to a Hebrew, and here is just another example, because I can guarantee you that whomever complained, uses the "J" with reckless abandon and wants nothing to do with changing their attitude because they probably LOVE using the hateful, sadly accepted, slang "J" word.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What somebody who is ?

Your post was reported as being offensive. But just so you understand how things work here on CT, we do not allow certain words to be used, regardless of who uses them, or why. Racial slurs and comments have no place here, even when you think they are being used in a harmless manner.

Yes it was obvious to me that you intended no malice with your use of the word, but it was not obvious to others. And yes, that includes others who are Hebrew, or Jewish if you/they prefer. You see ya never know how any given person will take a comment or word. So that is why we have strict rules about not using them.

15. The Social Pro

Ok man. I get it dude. Easy there fella. Just pointing out where the offense really is, as well as the ignorance brother. I know some words are not seen as acceptable there pal. Where as others are seen as disrespectful buddy. But the question remains who is offended and why there big guy. I get the strickness big shooter. I was simply educating people on what is and isn't actually offensive to Jewish peoples, rather than having someone thinking they are coming to their rescue there captain. Which I can guarantee you that was the intent of the hero, whom I guarantee you is not Jewish/Hebrew, or whatever we prefer to refer to ourselves as there chief. Who I can also guarantee you uses the "J" word. Again, its not the word, it's the attitude my friend.

BTW... I was told that you knew NOTHING of the "H" word I used, and was told it was removed because it is similar to another "H" word that I have never herd of. So as far as certain words, the word I used is a new one to you guys as well. The reason you knew nothing, because it is not seen as offensive accept to someone who definitely needs a hug.

Also, do a search on this site for the "J" word and see what you come up with daddy-o. Some words are absolutely TABOO and I get that... yet not the one that refers to the Jewish peoples. Why do you suppose that is? Other words are taboo because of the attitude right guy?

Again... My only intent is to educate the ignorant on the subject top gun.

16. The Social Pro

P.S. I'm a good guy. I'm a simple guy. I'm a straight shooter as well. I feel slighted today here and I feel it is unjust. But I'll live. We always do. ;)

17. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

I can not tell what happened here, but it looks as if this thread went to a discussion of a tooled ancient coin to some random rambling discussion about inappropriate use of language with a negative ethnic tone.

I believe that a mature person needs to examine themselves and look deep into their inner conscience and determine where the fault would lay. I have no idea of the words that the moderator and you had, or with which moderator felt the need to edit out of the thread. But I have enough experience in life to understand that they are being diplomatic. There is no reason for this thread to have melted down to this situation. There was nothing Jewish mentioned, or Korean, or Japanese. Furthermore, this is an open and public forum, not the park bench at a local school yard. Conformity with the simple standards of civil discourse and conversation has to be adhered to. Why would you embarrass yourself, and then embarrass yourself a second time and deflecting the blame in public after an effort was made to keep this matter as private as possible?

I won't ask you which word you specifically used, but I will tell you that if it was reported, it had to be a word with a fairly negative context. Professing that your a member of the ethnic group in question has no influence on the inappropriate use of such words within a public forum. Also, the context of the use of such a word might be worse than its usage. Why would it be used in this thread?

It is not the person who reported you that is the problem. The problem lays at your feet. The fact that you protested in public the private conversation does you no credit, and makes it worse for you.

Amanda

18. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

OK, on topic, can you explain what tooling means? I looked at the picture and I can tell it's a bit off, but I'd like to know what exactly that means.

19. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

It means that someone used a tool on it, like an awe, in order to make it look more detailed then it was originally. I was very common in the days of early collecting, especially of large cooper coins.

Amanda

20. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Tooling is where you take a coin missing details and re-engrave them. Large roman bronzes this is common for, (but still lessens value considerably), but this coin is laughable. Look at the letters, how they rise out of the field and have sharp edges. How would they have sharp edges if the fields are so worn? Look at the clothing on the obverse. Just so many examples of horrible tooling on this coin its not even collectible anymore except as a laugh.

I showed this to show bad examples of tooling, but to also warn anyone thinking of buying large Roman bronzes to be aware of this issue. I see a TON of large roman bronzes tooled on Ebay, probably most. If you are thinking of buying such a coin, please research how to spot tooling, as it does reduce the worth of the coin.

Btw, never thought I would come back to this thread and have a controversy on it, lol.

21. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

And there were 7 bidders? That is crazy!

Draft saved Draft deleted