Malawi 2 Tambala 1972

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by dobermann, Dec 6, 2008.

1. dobermann

dobermann Member

I can't find a value on this coin. It's also circulated and not in good condition at all. Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I don't know how you find these. Another coin with an impossible date. They were issued in the 70's and 80's, but not in 1972. If I were to make a guess, it would be that the coin is 1982 and the 7 is the alteration. One way to see that is to note the circumflex accent mark above the W of MALAWI. A coin from the early 70's would not have it, but a coin from 1982 would.

4. dobermann

dobermann Member

Lol when I lived in Africa I would got around to villages on weekends and collect old coins. I suspected this one of being tamped with, in fact I have 2 of them, the other is a little more obvious. I have quite a few other coins that have been tampered with, to varying degrees of workmanship. I didn't know much about the old currency at the time, so I didn't know that some of them were toyed with, some I did notice, but got them in package deals, and others I flat out rejected. I'll have to make a thread with all my funny money. I'm sorry I didn't buy every coin, I was offered, just for interest sake.

5. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

That's amazing to find such coins in villages, it would be fun to see the others you have.

6. kenny kondowe

kenny kondowe New Member

i have alot of them starting malawian pence 20tambala 2tambala 10tambala etc dated 1964-1989

Draft saved Draft deleted