Making Space for Another Spes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Dec 11, 2019.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I just added a second Titus Spes within a month. She was a very popular reverse type with the Flavians, likely owing to the their dynastic ambitions.

T237b.jpg Titus
    Æ As, 11.25g
    Rome mint, 80-81 AD
    Obv: IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P COS VIII; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: S C in field; Spes stg. l., with flower
    RIC 237 (C). BMC 216. BNC 220.
    Acquired from ANE, November 2019.

Spes was a fairly common reverse type under Vespasian, connected to future dynastic hope and harmony. It continued to be struck by Titus and can be viewed as his hope for the future with his chosen heir Domitian. As Mattingly put it: '...the recurring types of Spes suggests that Titus gave Domitian full due as heir to the throne.' Suetonious would have us believe this public fraternal affection was a sham and Domitian did everything he could to plot against Titus. The Flavian historian Brian Jones speculates the brother's relationship was one of 'mutual indifference and ignorance' due to their age and personality differences. Regardless, as the numismatic evidence shows, Titus looked upon Domitian as his legitimate heir until his untimely natural death in mid September 81.

A handsome specimen struck with a worn reverse die but in good style.

Feel free to add your Spes to this space!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A nice find, David.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice new addition, David.

BABCDD17-7309-44FC-886E-AF0CC9D5627A.jpeg
    Titus, As, Lugdunum, (28mm, 8.51g), Laureate head right, globe at point of bust / Spes advancing left, holding flower and raising hem of skirt. RIC II 1273 (Vespasian).

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice. Love the toning.

David Atherton likes this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one. I really like Spes as a reverse type, and the Flavians did them very well.

I have a weird one - the legend seems to be a bit "off" with a "CAES VESPAS" legend. It served as jewelry or a talisman.

Vespasian As SPES (0).jpg

Vespasian Æ As
    (75 or 76A.D.)
    Rome Mint

IMP CAES VESPAS AVG COS [VI or VII ?], laureate head right / S-C, Spes standing left holding flower and hem of skirt. Holed planchet.
    RIC 816 (VI) or 894 (VII)?
    ("CAES VESPAS" var. ?)
    (9.89 grams / 26 mm)

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That as has a lot of eye-appeal, @David Atherton ! Nice one!

75 years later, Spes is still walking left, holding a flower and raising the hem of her stola:

Faustina Jr AVGVSTI PII FIL Spes denarius.jpg

125 years later, Spes is still walking left, holding a flower and raising the hem of her stola:

Domna BONA SPES denarius Emesa.jpg

200 years later, Spes is still walking left, holding a flower and raising the hem of her stola:

Claudius II SPES PVBLICA Antoninianus.JPG
    Tetricus II SPES AVGG.jpg

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great portrait David. I only have one coin with SPES.
    Domitian RIC 788 new.jpg

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I suspect the uniformity of the design across the centuries is due to the type being based on a cult image of Spes. Interesting to see her in later ages!

Roman Collector likes this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent Spes-imen @David Atherton

Aelius :
    [​IMG]

Diadumenian :
    [​IMG]

Aemilian :
    [​IMG]

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted