Making my own website

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

For some time I was thinking to make a website where I present my ancient coin collection (eventhough it is still quite small). It is always nice to share this beautiful hobby with other people and perhaps come in contact with other collectors. Also, I think it is handy if people need to identify their coins as well.

This is the website link:
    https://christosgr1.wixsite.com/cgpavloscollection

It is a free domain by WIX, that is why it says wixsite.com

I have been making a start on my website and I would like to hear your opinions and feedback about it!

Curtisimo, cmezner, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice attractive start. I'm thinking about doing the same but have yet to do it.

spirityoda and Pavlos like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks like you're off to a good start! I love the Wix platform and use it for my own coin website (which I haven't updated in more than two years :oops:). I've made many little websites with Wix. It's so easy to use!

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Nice. Focusses is spelled focuses.

Pavlos likes this.
  6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Good job Pavlos. Looking forward to seeing the collection.

Pavlos likes this.
  7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice! Your coins and photographs are superb!!

I hadn't explored Wix before. Back in March, I was using Forvm and Tantalus for my digital collection and wasn't enjoying my experience with them, so I ended up picking Wordpress as my CMS (I had some previous experience with a personal blog), where every coin entry is akin to a blog post, and I can add tags, collections (categories), and pick from themes, etc. I've been really happy with it over the past 3+ months. https://iomegacollection.blog

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice work! I love using wix. I have a paid site so I can get increased traffic.

Keep it going. You can click on the link in my signature to see my site

Pavlos and Justin Lee like this.
  10. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Thank you all!

Your website looks great, I wouldn't have know it is done by Wix. I really like how you represent your coins.

I really like your website, it is very structured and clear.

Thank you! Yes I figured out how nice and simple Wix is. Your website is very nice, I see you did it in a style of a blog. I like that when you scroll down the coin starts to move :)

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Nice website. The drachm with Helios on the obverse has a great look.

Pavlos and Paul M. like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I updated my site almost every week from February 1997 to September 2003 when I retired and slowed up buying coins since I was on fixed income and was afraid to spend. Since then I updated sporadically for about ten years and pretty much stopped using that time to participate on Coin Talk and other sites. Several times have said I would start up again but I don't have time for both. Today there is so much available online that my little efforts seem needless.

Pavlos likes this.
  13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Very nice. Very polished presentation.

14. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Much available? True from a referential standpoint, but scattered hither and yon, and alongside the vanity sites that merely show off collections. In a very real way the building of websites could provide for the missing element in the collecting of ancients, i.e. competitive exhibiting, but who has the clout to establish standards for evaluation of entries in a competition? So vanity it is and likely to remain so.

For reference purposes, however, you and Augustus have/had the right idea to offer significant indexing on your sites along with your direct educational content (Warren even more than you, perhaps). Zach Beasley, Reid Goldsborough, and Victor Clark created special focus sites that are good jumping off points in a different way, and Victor has tried to add current reference to others in his areas of interest (not sure he has time for that now). Dave Surber harvested the online auction offerings to get illustrations for everything in the standard cats when he created Wildwinds, which Dane has been keeping up, of course, but so far no one has come up with "one sight to rule them all." I think it will need to be a collaborative effort, but I don't know that anyone has that agenda now. I still think it is still out there as something this field of interest could use, for collectors and for scholars. I am aware that putting some of the literature most used by numismatists online has been happening.

Perhaps others here know of efforts yet a-borning.

Draft saved Draft deleted