Making Deals at the Coin Star Machine.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin-crazy, Oct 5, 2010.

1. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

At the coin star machine I go to, it seems like a coin collector's dream,I stand by the machine, which there is a seat near by. And all I do is offer more cash then whats being returned. Nine times out of ten its silver coins that are being returned or errors.Most people would jump at an offer of getting more then whats being returned.I always find a good coin or two that rolled under the machine.Today I offered this lady 2 dollars for all her returned coins, some foreign. And was happy to go home with 1->1937 mercy, 1951,1960 rossies and a 1964 quarter.Not bad for only 2 minutes.. I wonder if anybody else thought about doing this or have done so.It sure beats going to the bank getting box after box, wasting time and getting skunked !!!:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fish968

fish968 New Member

sounds like fun i'll probably try that some time.

4. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Just don't get to the market that often. But I bought $200 CWR of 25c at the bank turned in by the person in front of me. Not a single keeper.

5. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

That's a good idea. I'm tired of roll searching for silver and I'm looking for a way to get more silver. There's one near me. I'll just get a bunch of $1 and $5 bills from my bank and then wait by the machine. Hopefully someone will come up and try to dump halves. Almost everytime I get customer turned in rolls at my bank there is silver in there. People are turning it in not realizing the melt value.

6. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Hopefully a cute kid like you will be able to do so, an old geezer (or even a teen) who hangs around the coinstar machine is likely to be "moved on" by security.

Best of luck.

7. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I checked the reject bin at a coinmaster today... 3.03 in Canadian, 1.71 in US, 3 - 1 penny UK, a 2 cent euro, and a 1 ??? Ukraine coin. Neat.

8. My son will always check the reject bin of a Coin Star machine whenever we walk by one. All wheats so far, no silver. TC

9. coin-crazy

Well I always look under the machine, yesterday I was lucky.I found a 1914 barber dime in fine condition, and some other coins.Call it luck.But people put tones of silver into them machines everyday.:hail:

10. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Yea, I feel like it'd be kind of shady to lurk around one of the machines for a while, but it is a good idea. I still haven't found anything in a reject slot, but I got an Ike from a machine at a bank...the machine doesn't take them so it was stuck in the thing....free dollar!

11. coin-crazy

Well I buy a newspaper and coffee, sit down ,read and wait. The store is so busy.It dont take long for people to come in with bags of coins.Sometimes I will buy all there coins and save that person the time of dealing with the machine.Trust me, it works out great. In most big stores that has the coin star machines there always seem to be a rest area.

12. ExBingoAddict

ExBingoAddict New Member

Found a couple of 1943 steel cents one day on the floor by a bank coin machine. That's my only coin machine story to date.

13. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

My dad always checked the return slots in pay-phones.

Can someone explainn to me what pay phones were???? ;)

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

My thoughts exactly! If I was to do that (old geezer here) I'd get chased away faster than a homeless person!!:D

Attached Files:

• 146.gif
      146.gif
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
  15. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

i never thought about that, maybe i will have to try it.

16. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

My bank just got a coinstar machine. I believe I will have to try it. There's also one in Walmart but I avoid that place like the plague.

17. coin-crazy

I seen one in Walmart but I hate going there.

18. coin-crazy

19. coin-crazy

20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Dang, what's the threepeat about?

21. coin-crazy

My computer froze and started acting crazy..This is the out come..Sorry!

Draft saved Draft deleted