Making a new collector?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmatt, Dec 5, 2018.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting in the dentist chair yesterday, patiently waiting for the dentist. While I wait I'm checking out this weekend's goodies on great collections. The dentist comes in the room and glances over my shoulder and sees I'm looking at coins on my phone. He seems a little more excited than usual and proceeds to tell me a story about getting a strange nickel in change the day before. He tells me it's a 1943s but doesn't know why the s is so large. I tell him the story of nickel composition during the war years and he seemed quite interested. This whole exchange helped me avoid the dreaded drill for 10 minutes or better. When I got home I found an attractive 43s 5¢ pcgs ms66 on eBay and ordered it for him. Can't wait to get it and wrap it up for Christmas. I think I'll get more than my 20 bucks worth of fun out of it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This proves it, war nickels are the best! Great story, if it takes, tell him to join Cointalk next time. I think everyone should post a 43-S war nickel to honor our new collector. Here is one of my newest.

[​IMG]

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That is awesome. And being a dentist, he's likely a man of education and some means, which might make a serious collector out of him. It could be really fun to mentor somebody who's got the makings of becoming a serious numismatist.

johnmatt and Hookman like this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

LOL. I see the $$$ in that sentence, LordM, he of the recent eBay postings. LOL

johnmatt likes this.
  6. Hookman

I have bunches but since I collect for the silver content none of them are pretty like yours.

7. lordmarcovan

My recent eBay postings combined might buy dinner in a decent restaurant at best. I was referring to the tendency of dentists to have enough discretionary income to spend on cars and boats and... things.

Some dentists are into casting gold jewelry, I believe, since they perform similar tasks with teeth at work. So it isn't a stretch to imagine a coin collecting dentist. I'll bet there are quite a few out there.

Speaking of teeth, I once showed my dentist a massive C. megalodon shark tooth fossil I'd found, and he was duly impressed.

8. Hookman

Yes, those meg teeth are massive. I would certainly like to get one for my twin grandsons who are into both sharks and dinosaurs.

9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

A25931F3-C57D-4865-8640-92C056544ABE.jpeg 6B5ABA72-CC53-47A0-8351-D21DE5348824.jpeg

A couple years ago I asked the bank if they had any customer wrapped rolls of coins. They only had two CW rolls of nickels. Found this in the first one.

This is the only war nickel I have ever found CRHing. Then again, I haven’t CRHed much.

Hookman likes this.
  10. Hookman

That's similar to what most of my war nickels look like.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I seriously need to take some new pictures of this piece! For now, this is what I've got:

JPA946 obverse.jpg
    JPA946 reverse.jpg

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is the ultra rare 1943-S MS67 NS nickel.

Is that coin PL? Seems strange that you would have a war nickel with no step detail at all.

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is semi-prooflike. It is raw. I bought it thinking there might have been a chance it would get PL, but in-hand it isn't strong enough.

The PL in my set is a 42S.

14. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

As a boy I filled the 43-s hole in my Whitman roll hunting with this coin. I was never sure if the rev has a die error or if it is a metal deposit on the coin. 00002.jpg 00001.jpg 00003.jpg

15. lordmarcovan

Hoky77 likes this.
  16. Hookman

You mean a Metalpecker attack !!
    [​IMG]

17. lordmarcovan

Dang metalpeckers. They've ruined many a good coin.

(Where'd you find that photo? LOL)

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

War nickels is how I got into coin collecting!

19. Hookman

googled "images of metal woodpeckers"

Years ago, people would say " Google is your friend".

Sometimes it is.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Okie-dokie, mission accomplished. Got the coin (gorgeous and difficult to part with as it turned out) and delivered it to my friendly dentist today. Couldn't have gone any better, he seemed genuinely excited. He asked a lot of questions about the coin, the grade, the slab, etc. Had a really fun time with it and even told him some of my coin collecting friends are betting that he gets hooked! Merry Christmas to all ..

Draft saved Draft deleted