Making a Mint Set for my Grandpa

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walking Sterling Silver, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

My grandfather is going through some health problems, and such. I though I could make him a mint set of his birth year 1937 and give it to him as a gift. So my goal is to make a complete 1937 BU set from Philidelphia. I'm hoping to get it finished within a year. The journey starts here.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Well, good luck on the mint set. ;)

4. Walking Sterling Silver

Thanks!

5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Is this some ploy or something? Are you really 14? Your writing is quite nice, and you just happen to announce to everyone that you are 14 in your caption under your avatar. In any case, I didn't at first think you were trying to get hand-outs, until I read the disclaimer by someone. If you weren't doing this, what is your goal with the post? Just curious. If your just sharing, cool. What have you got so far? And how will you raise the funds to buy these coins?

6. Walking Sterling Silver

Buying and selling a bit. I haven't gotten any of them yet.

7. Pere

Pere Active Member

So revise your goal, forget about mint marks.

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I do not like how you are doubting him and his age and calling him a scammer and jumping to conclusions like that. If you do not like what he is doing than don't comment or do business with him. I just do not like how you are saying he is on a "ploy" of some sort. I agree, you can not do fundraisers on this forum by the rules and that is one rule I agree with but I think the moderators dealt with that.
    At 14 years old he is certainly not the youngest guy on this forum, that I'm sure of [​IMG]
    Sometimes a 13 year old can be more smart than most 40 years old, other times the complete opposite, age in years does not determine someone's real age, their wisdom does and most times wisdom comes with age but other times not.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    J.A.K., phankins11, eddiespin and 2 others like this.
  9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

For those unaware, the OP has edited his first post in this thread. I read it when it was fresh and it read clearly to me like the OP was soliciting funds for the project.

fred13 and Blissskr like this.
  10. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Maybe, but not "clearly". The original line was:

Not really mentioning what kind of help. Maybe he meant someone could point him to places that sell cheap coins, or buys some that he got for sale, or some kind of set design ideas etc. It didn't state "send me some financial aid".

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That's fine. That is why I wrote "clearly to me". Others could interpret it differently.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And no doubt are. I wish him a lot of luck. I think it's a fine thing to do.

13. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I interpret that as a published wish list, in the hope that any member reading who has something that fits his needs would contact him offering coins for sale by pm.

That is my interpretation. With uncertain health issues being a driving factor, I assume that the faster this set can be assembled, the better. This is a good way to reach out to our community.

Encourage. Not discourage. Remember he's a young guy, and age aside, some folks have trouble putting their complete thoughts into writing.

Good luck.

coinman1234 and eddiespin like this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And sometimes the real big brains around here tend to lose sight of that...

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Sorry to burst your bubble. You should take your own advice. If you don't like my gut feelings, "don't comment." It most certainly felt like a ploy at the time, in my opinion. Sorry if it was condescending though, I was bored at work and probably trying to stir up stuff if I wasn't merely thinking aloud

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted