Makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Billyray, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Today my girlfriend used a dime and 5 pennies to pay for something ... before I had a chance to look at them!!! No matter how many times I tell her, she still does it.

Maybe finding a valuable one will get her to stop doing it lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Sounds like its time for a new girlfriend.... Haha!

4. DrunkNumismatic

DrunkNumismatic New Member

just have her buy you a penny roll once a week and it will make up for it ;)

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Tell her to always spend $20 or $100 bills and give you all the change ;)

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What the devil was she buying? I don't know anything that costs 15 cents anymore.......:)

7. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

lol, the total was like $3.15

8. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

that's one thing that makes me miss the old days, we use plastic for 90%, or more, of our purchases, meaning no change. :(

9. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Same here. I'd guess that at some time in the (distant?) future all coins will stop being minted. :(

10. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I severely doubt that. checks are not always trusted, how can you think money will be written off? That would also give credit card companies the ability to charge for everything they wanted, and debit card companies could do the same, heck, even charge you for not spending a minimum. It would make life far to complicated. have your pay sent to an account that will loose money. just saying I don't think it could work.

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Well, it could have been worse. Imagine if she told you "I just spent a coin with a pretty Indian Head on it"?

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Well young fella, I would say let her spend any change she has. This is NOT something to make a stand on. Girlfriends can cost you a heck of a lot more money if they are unhappy than you will ever find roll searching their change.

Learning to keep your woman happy with as few trips to the jewelry store is probably the biggest way I know to save money in life. ;)

Chris

13. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Find a completed auction of a 1969S DDO and just kind of casually show her it, making sure she sees the selling price. Maybe she'll realize the scope of her error.:smile

14. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Think ahead, and of all the changes that have occurred just in the last century - I said "distant" future. I rarely use cash at all - just a debit card. Once they get security issues resolved with plastic, or go instead with chip implants and/or fingerprint readers or eye scans, there won't be a need for coins or paper money. I won't be around, but I'd otherwise bet that 50 or 100 years from now there will be no cash needed anymore. I guess maybe the mint might still be around, trying to sell ugly modern commemoratives at outlandish prices. :)

The banks will rip us off one way or another. :(

15. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Get two jars. Have her put the change into one jar. Then you pull change out of this jar and check it for valuable coinage. Then put the culls into the 2nd jar. Have her get change from this jar only.

If this is too much work, then don't worry about it. It's not worth the **** that you could stir up otherwise.

edit: Mr censor is too picky :devil:

16. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Biometric scanners are not the way to go. Once the criminals crack the fingerprints or retina scans, and they will, what are we going to do? Change our fingers or eyes? Give me a pin I can change at will anyday.

17. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Better yet, teach her how to cherry pick. My wife came home a few weeks ago with six wheat cents, a merc dime, and two Ikes. (She does not collect coins, by the way.)

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know why you should cringe at the sight of her spending her change before you've checked it. You would have better odds of having a meteorite hit your car than finding something really valuable out of circulation. If you want your girlfriend to put up with this kind of childishness, then pay her 5x face for all of her change.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted