Make the Comitatenses great again!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

After the deaths of Julian and Jovian the Roman Empire looked as if it may be ripped apart from civil war or worse; the reputation of the military was at an almost all time low and the Imperial bureaucracy was in disarray. Fortunately the battered Legions in the east had elected a more than capable man to the purple: Valentinian I.
    Fortunately we have Valentinian's speech he gave to the troops at the time of his election:"A few minutes since it was in your power, fellow-soldiers, to have left me in the obscurity of a private station. Judging, from the testimony of my past life, that I deserved to reign, you have placed me on the throne. It is now my duty to consult the safety and interest of the republic. The weight of the universe is undoubtedly too great for the hands of a feeble mortal. I am conscious of the limits of my abilities, and the uncertainty of my life; and far from declining, I am anxious to solicit, the assistance of a worthy colleague. But, where discord may be fatal, the choice of a faithful friend requires mature and serious deliberation. That deliberation shall be my care. Let your conduct be dutiful and consistent. Retire to your quarters; refresh your minds and bodies; and expect the accustomed donative on the accession of a new emperor."

Valentinian assured the men of the legions that he was one of them and that the military would be the main focus of his reign. Now to us living in modern times this may sound no different than to a military dictatorship (i.e Egypt or the USSR) but at this period in Roman history the military was absolutely vital to maintaining the Empire, without it the light of Rome would burn out.
    Valentinian was going to prioritize the military but he wasn't going to spoil them rotten like Septimius Severus or Caracalla had, he was going to treat them harshly but fairly.
    The perfect example of this is when Valentinian lost a battle to some germans in 365, when he returned to his camp he found out that the Batavi Senories were the first to flee. Valentinian angrily stated that he would sell them into slavery and take their weapons from them. It was reported that the Batavi cried like women and begged Valentinian for another chance, he gave it to them and they charged into the forests and absolved themselves of their cowardice in the blood of the germans.

Most Emperors after Constantine did not personally lead troops into battle the only exceptions were Julian II, Magnus Maximus, Theodosius I, and of course Valentinian I.
    At the Battle of Solicinium in 368 CE, Valentinian personally led a contingent of men up a hill the alemanni were holding. The barbarians unexpectedly counter attacked and Valentinian held his ground and personally engaged in hand to hand combat with them. He only retreated after the barbarians had killed his personal attendant and had knocked his helmet off, the Romans would ultimately win the battle with many dead barbarians strewn about the forrest.

A description of Valentinian I by the great late Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus states that "he was of a violent and brutal temper, and not only uncultivated himself, but hostile to cultivated persons." This is probably true as most other contemporaries describe him as an abrasive boor, though Valentinian probably didn't give a damn about what some old crusty Senators thought. Surprisingly Valentinian founded hospitals and schools in Rome and Constantinople; there is something touching when a man whose main job is killing shows mercy and kindness. In conclusion, he was the perfect man to pull the Roman Empire and Comitatenses back together after the disasters of 363 and 364.
    Hats off to Valentinian The Great!
    It only took three damn years to find an unclipped Siliqua of Valentinian I that didn't break the bank. The fact that it is from Rome makes it all the more sweeter as Valentinian vacillated between Rome and Mediolanum in the early part of his reign.

yhst-52428714831916_2269_38317561.jpeg
    ANCIENT ROME: Valentinian I (364-375 CE) Ar Siliqua (18mm, 2.13g) of Rome, 1st Officina; SR-4099, RSC-81d. Obv: diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; Rev: Valentinian seated left holding sceptre and Victory. Very Fine. Circa 365-67 CE

The shield pattern of the Batavi Senories
    220px-Batavi_Seniores_scutum.svg.png
    An artists representation of a unit of Comitatenses
    004_by_pfpictor-d9apvqf.png

A possible statue of Valentinian I, other candidates are Valens and Theodosius II. I like to think it's Valentinian due to the stern facial features.
    8b1aaaedde30068821b3dbe7a9dad393.jpg
    Source:

102851.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Bart9349, TJC, Ancientnoob and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin - good write-up.
    Valentinian I 1.jpg
    VALENTINIAN I
    AE3
    OBVERSE: D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, holding wreath & palm, TESA in ex.
    Struck at Thessalonica 364-7 AD
    2.4g, 17mm
    RIC 18a, LRBC 1706
    Valentinian I 6.jpg
    VALENTINIAN I
    AE3
    OBVERSE: D N VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: GLORIA RO-MANORVM, emperor walking right, head turned back, grasping bound captive at the top of the head & holding labarum, D in right field, Mintmark TRP star. RIC IX Trier 5a type iii(a).
    Struck at Trier 367-375 AD
    2.7g, 18mm
    Trier RIC 5a

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Great write up. My fav Valentinian
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Am reading a book about the late Roman army, and it touched on the origins of the Comitantenses. Interesting stuff for sure. Oh and nice coin!

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice writeup and great Siliqua.

[​IMG]
    Valentinian I (364 - 375 A.D.)
    Æ3
    O: DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right.
    R: RESTITVTOR REIP, Valentinian standing front, head right, holding Victory and standard with X on banner. Mintmark SMKB
    20mm
    3.38g
    Cyzicus
    RIC 10a, B

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice commentary, very nice VI!

I always wondered what it would be like to have pitted a late RR Legion (post Marian Reform) against a Late Empire Legion.

RI Valentinian I 364-375 CE AE4 Nummus Victory Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Valentinian I 364-375 CE AE4 Nummus Victory

RI Valentinian I AE3 364-375 CE Emp dragging captive XP std Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Valentinian I AE3 364-375 CE Emp dragging captive XP std

8. Magnus Maximus

@Alegandron Would depend on the terrain, Commanders of each army, and skill of the troops ect ect.....
    Commanders of the Late Empire were chosen by skill not Senatorial birth so in theory the Comitatensis would have an edge there.

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ancient23.jpg ancient23b.jpg

... it's all I got (but it was my very first ancient coin purchase)

:rolleyes:

=> oh, and that's a sweet new OP-score, Mag Max (thanks for the reading material)

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Understood, but Post-Marian reform Legion did not distinguish soldiers by class. Rather, they pulled from all society. Just a curiousity only, not a debate.

11. Magnus Maximus

@Alegandron I thought that a Legate( General) could only be of Senetorial rank?

Alegandron likes this.
  12. ValiantKnight

Skills/abilities aside, personally, I think the late empire troops looked cooler. Don't get me wrong the republican/early-mid empire troops had some cool-looking uniforms, but the late empire soldiers look tougher, grittier, more battle-ready to me.

I think, for anyone confused in telling them apart, if they look more "medieval", its a safe bet that they are late soldiers.

13. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Very nice coin and compilation of ancient history, THANK YOU.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great write up and coin MM!

i have this LRB given to me by a coin buddy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dlhill132, stevex6, icerain and 2 others like this.
  15. ValiantKnight

Left is 1st to 3rd centuries AD, right is 4th to 5th centuries AD 9913ffd22a6ed0ac246345d80e9cc9e3.jpg

16. Magnus Maximus

What I upgraded from.
    image.jpeg

17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

18. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Pretty neat history. I got a Valentinian somewhere.

19. Valentinianvs

Valentinianvs Well-Known Member

Great write up @Magnus Maximus and very nice siliqua!
    This is my Valentinian I favourite, a coin probably used to pay those comitatensis

20160716_140948_HDR~2.jpg 20160716_141000_HDR~2.jpg

Valentinian I - 364-375 AD
    AV solidus, mint of Antiochia, 9th off. ca. 364/7 AD
    Obv.: D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, bust right.
    Rev.: RESTITVTOR REIPVBLICAE, emperor standing with labarum, exergue ANTΘ•.
    RIC IX #2(a)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  20. ValiantKnight

You win. Let's pack up, everyone. Thread's over.

Seriously though, great solidus. Can't wait till I get my first "actually Roman" (not Byzantine) solidus.

Valentinianvs likes this.
  21. Magnus Maximus

@Valentinianvs Very Nice! And you are right, the Comitatensis were probably paid in Solidii and Miliarensii.
    Why don't you post your Miliarense of Valentinian I as well?!

Pishpash and Valentinianvs like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted