Major Worn Kennedy Clad Halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Islander80-83, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Found these roll-searching over the past year. Besides intentional or circulation damage, any other thoughts or opinions on these?

S20200228_067.jpg
    S20200228_023.jpg
    20181215_S20181215_014-ccfopt.jpg
    20181215_S20181215_015-ccfopt.jpg
    S20190118_001-ccfopt.jpg
    S20190118_002-ccfopt.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Pocket pieces.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Very well could be, you don't think one or more were helped along the way?

Islander80-83, Oldhoopster and dwhiz like this.
  5. Hommer

Maybe. I know people do strange things, but I prefer not to think about them.

6. Islander80-83

Well, the bottom one is a 1988. Let's assume they are all 1971 clad's. That's 49 years. What's the avg. duration of creating one of these in your pocket?.. I have no idea!

My motivation for posting these and asking the question: If submitted, would they come back in a body bag, damaged, detailed?....or straight graded? I can barely make out a date on the first one. I "think" it's a 1984-D. If it's a genuine pocket piece, would a P01 be possible?

7. Pickin and Grinin

I imagine it is possible, I don't know that the few with the heavy scratches would pass.

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Dryer coins is my thoughts.

9. Islander80-83

True. Detailed/damaged kills it!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm pretty sure that any Kennedy worn that heavily has had some help.

This sent me off looking for other examples. I found one NGC graded PO-01.

There was a user here in 2013-2014, Steve456, who posted a 1964 in an ANACS PO1 slab. I can no longer tag him, so I guess he's gone. :( (Here's a thread on another forum, apparently by the same guy, with pictures of a PCGS PO01 1976.)

Here's a set of FR02 Kennedys on eBay, with 1964, 1964-D, 1966, 1967, 2 1968-D, and 1969-D examples.

I'd love to have a 2014 gold Kennedy in PO01 (or even F12), but so far I haven't even had the nerve to turn one into a pocket piece. (I was half-seriously looking for damaged examples near melt at one point to run the experiment, but I missed my chance at the only one I ever saw, and I don't think I could bring myself to put the first wear or damage on one.)

PlanoSteve and Islander80-83 like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What did you do to them @Islander80-83? Put them in a rich tumbler? Lol

12. Hommer

I am curious. Do you conclude this because you have personally pulled a Kennedy half dollar from inside a dryer drum and it looked like this? Or because you have personally carried a Kennedy half in your pocket for 40 years and it looks nothing like this?

No I'm not picking on you. I just get tired of reading this conclusion on every worn coin when there has never been any actual proof that this ever happens.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Something to notice on all the examples you provided the rims are square and the surfaces have been worn smooth. There is an even look to all of them.
    @Islander80-83 I take back the thought that any of your half's would straight grade.
    All the rims seem to have problems. And the coins don't look evenly worn.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Maybe I’m totally off base, but I don’t see halves circulating enough through the years to cause all of that.

15. Islander80-83

I found then roll-searching.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. Islander80-83

Brilliant! Thanks for that!

17. Islander80-83

You're singing my song!

18. Collecting Nut

I second that!

19. Islander80-83

I'm with you. I'm just trying to figure out some type of conclusive how, where, when or why.

20. Collecting Nut

Just teasing you! Half Dollars are not circulation coins. For the most part they are made for circulation but for that much wear to occur they had to have help. Look at Quarters from 1965. Basically the same composition but not that much wear and Quarters are heavily circulated as compared to a half.

21. Islander80-83

That was my thought as well. Could something like these actually come from the mint? Test pieces? Grease?

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted