Major TPG Frustration !!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by mpcusa, Nov 16, 2016.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Would like to hear everybody,s thoughts

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I think if anything you have demonstrated that sending notes to a TPG is a crapshoot. Which is precisely why I don't send notes to any TPG. I couldn't care less what they think. I'm not particularly interested in selling much so why bother?

SteveInTampa likes this.
  4. mpcusa

Kind of frustrated again...LOL 9 out of 10 times PMG notes will grade same as or higher, seldom do you see a PMG note dropped in grade by PCGS going the other
    way PCGS to PMG thats almost a given.

5. mpcusa

I dont sell to much either, most of the notes i have graded are for my personal collection this particular note was the exception, but of all the notes i have cross graded this is the first one from PMG to PCGS that actually got dropped in grade
    most but not all the time you can predict the out come going this way but PCGS to PMG that,s a different situation all together !!

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm guessing the vast majority of notes submitted for grading are for the intention of being sold somewhere down the line, or for the collectors that participate/compete in TPG's registry sets. Personally, about 20% of my collection is graded, and of that 20% I would guess about 80% were purchased already encapsulated/graded by a TPG. I rarely submit notes, and when I do, I send them in and forget about them. I don't count days, I don't count weeks, I don't count months, I don't worry or moan or whine about how long it takes because I don't care.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  7. mpcusa

Please read previous posts, i generally dont send notes in with the intention of selling them this however was the rare exception where i did have someone lined
    up but even at 64PPQ it still is one of the highest graded as there are no 65.s or higher at PCGS, i do have the 66EPQ note but most likely i will just go to the Long
    Beach show and get it graded over nite so i wont have to wait.

and why worry LOL

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Wonder if that is a trend we will see continue or an aberration. Would you agree like coins that for the most part they grade the same with some differences within their own standards?

9. mpcusa

it,s really funny how that works, i have done several cross grades and its pretty evident that both PCGS and PMG do things different thats why you will see more
    higher grades issued by PCGS but that doesnt mean there of lesser quality just a different way of evaluating the notes.

10. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

iscbtisgo iilabool tan

11. mpcusa

Translation ? ...LOL

12. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I could not have said it better myself.

13. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

I don't like TPG. They are phonies and a waste of time and money. If you're collecting notes for your own personal collection avoid the hassle and just stick them in a plain protective sleeve. You already know their grade or you wouldn't buy them. If you're selling them to someone else, especially if they're someone like me, I'd just take them out of those phony TPG sleeves or slabs and let them be free. Every once in a while I want to hold the coins and notes I collect and feel the paper and the metal in my bare hand with barrier plastic in the way. They are fine by me in just an album.

14. SteveInTampa

What exactly makes TPG's not genuine or fraudulent @Ed23 ??

Some forum members do not know how to grade notes, and why would I trust the grade you access ?

Timewarp and baseball21 like this.
  15. mpcusa

Your opinion of course and your entitled to it if you dont want graded notes thats your deal but if your talking about value your way is not the way to go ! when you
    go to sell, how do you come to an agreed grade ? or value foe that matter.

16. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I thank the collecting gods everyday for giving us TPG companies. Collecting was so difficult for the fifteen or so years I was in the hobby before they came along. It was almost impossible to acquire notes because no one knew how to grade them or agree upon a price.

When you went to a show you might as well have been at a museum. Dealers had cases of notes that just sat there because no one knew how to grade or agree upon a price. There was lots of talk about the weather, whatever sport was in season, the economy, Memphis barbecue joints and family but no one could figure out how to make commerce happen until TPG came along..

SteveInTampa likes this.
  17. SteveInTampa

One thing was for sure, the buyer thought it was at least one grade below the assessment and the seller thought it should be at least one grade higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted