Major Grease Error - words missing on 2003 nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kristina Greene, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Kristina Greene

Kristina Greene New Member

Hey all,

New find. This is a 2003 Denver Nickel.

I noticed there are words missing, in different light you can see the hint of the print that should be there but a different angle makes them dissappear completely.

On the obverse I can see a faint "in", fully see God, then gets difficult to see "we trust" after that. Liberty text only seems half there and it was hard to see the year at certain angles of view.

On the reverse the text begins to dissappear in pluribus and unum is completely missing. At the bottom, United States of America is not sharp and looks half printed.

The nickel is not in the greatest of shape but I do believe this is the biggest grease error I have ever found and it is on both sides.

Anyone know how potentially valuable this could be?

Thanks in advance!
    Happy coin hunting!!

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

The lack of rims on both sides of the coin has me thinking Post-Mint Damage is a possibility....

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

It's a legit error IMO.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks like just excessive "wear and tear" to me. PMD. biggrin.gif

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect a "dryer coin" myself.

7. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

You should weigh it. If it's a strike through grease it will weigh 5 grams, but if it's worn it will weigh less.

Kristina Greene and Cheech9712 like this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Your photos are too reflective. Try taking a new set using a filter to create a diffused lighting effect. As one fellow enthusiast noted, the lack of a rim is apparent. This could mean a weak strike. Greasers have full rims and weak devices. Yours is weak all around.

Before getting too excited, a coin caught in a dryer can take on a similar appearance. This is why better photos are needed. You might have something…but you might not.

Kristina Greene likes this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think your coin could be struck on a thin / under-weight planchet.
    It should weight 5.00 grams with a +/- of 0.194g which = 4.806 to 5.194g
    Here is a photo of one that weights 3.73g. It has similar features to yours.
    I don't have a value for this type of error.

DSC06339.JPG DSC06338.JPG

11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Kristina Greene, first of all, welcome to CT!

Based on your pics, I'm with you on the possibility of grease filled, but other than that, it looks to me to be a normal strike (note the one time sharpness of Tom's hair & Monticello), albeit, this coin seems to have excessive experience versus a similar nickel of only 22 years.

I am also in agreement that this specimen spent at least some time in a dryer.

As for how "potentially valuable" it is, it's still worth 5 cents. In order for you to receive a premium for this coin, you would have to find an inexperienced "collector/accumulator" who would actually think this coin is special.

As you continue your journey with coin collecting, you will see how common the features on your coin are, and the more you see, the easier it becomes to distinguish real anomalies, varieties & errors.

It helps to have better pictures, as well as coin weights in the event of planchet issues, but all that will come in time. Continue to post & monitor this site & look at as many coins as possible to develop your expertise.

Kristina Greene and Coins4Eli like this.
  12. Kristina Greene

This is the best I could get on my scope. It doesn't go high enough to get the entire coin at once

Attached Files:

13. Kristina Greene

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

With that eliminated, I do expect it to be a struck though error.

15. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

To take pics of larger coins turn your scope backwards and set it on something. Put weight on the base so it doesn’t tip over. See the picture below.

upload_2024-4-7_21-45-19.jpeg

16. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Here is an inexpensive weekend project that might help improve your photos. Simple shoebox, light, felt to diffuse light, black backing, small tap to lift coin off of backing, solid object about the focal length of your phone's camera (where with minimal zoom, the coin fills the screen), a piece of glass from an old picture frame, and a couple of pill bottles filled with quarters. Play around with the setup and you'll find your way to better photography.

I'm with a weak strike. Weak rim definition and outer devices could indicate that it was in a dryer bouncing around but the opposite side details keep me from that decision. Greasers will tend to have sharper, full rims. Your specimen does not. So, I'm not thinking it's a greaser. Wait for more input here. Your fellow coin enthusiasts will help you dial in on what you have there.

Welcome to CT!!

Attached Files:

17. ela

ela New Member

I do not have experience, I am new but for me looks as a error

Draft saved Draft deleted