Major Error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by LilMomma35, May 21, 2021.

?

Is this quarter a rare find?

1. Yes

8.3%
  2. No

91.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LilMomma35

LilMomma35 New Member

2016 Theodore Roosevelt Quarter that clearly states “Diberty” instead of “Liberty” it also has something that was I printed across his neck as well. 1780F8A0-CFBE-42CA-B1BB-989CDE76D06A.jpeg 0D95A556-8DEF-4CEE-BCFA-EFCDB6E62A07.jpeg 0A569A29-531B-44EF-B43B-40D7EB6B8B03.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Major NO NO and its just an ordinary quarter with problems,spend it.

4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Where's George? o_O

PMD

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

The oddity surrounding the "L" of LIBERTY can be attributed to pareidolia. It's like seeing images in the clouds. This quarter is only worth 25c. I can't make out anything on Washington's neck.

LilMomma35 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

George is on the obverse. Teddy is on the reverse.

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT Momma

LilMomma35 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There is no printing in the minting of coins.. you know what.. just forget it :shifty:

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is to all that have already responded, I think that there is plenty of warrant to get better photos.;)

I can't rule out a dropped element, something struck thru, yeah it could be altered... It's interesting.

10. LilMomma35

LilMomma35 New Member

Please keep your negative comments to yourself. Thank you! I’m not blind and neither is anyone else that has looked at it!

love old coins likes this.
  11. LilMomma35

LilMomma35 New Member

Thank You!

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Can you get some better detailed photos of the area?

13. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Hey @LilMomma35, welcome to CT! Not a mint error as already mentioned but keep looking, you never know when you could strike it good!!
    I applaud you for your correct use of the poll btw, 90% of new members can't figure it out and end up using it completely the wrong way... ;)

Stevearino and JPD3 like this.
  14. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. We know you see something. Pointing out the areas you determine questionable with the circles is not necessary if the errors are that major. We will also be able to see the coin face in its entirety, not getting distracted by the encircled areas. I'm not versed enough to try & determine the issue with the band at Washington's neck, but the L might have taken a hit after leaving the mint.

15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Could you please post a clear closeup of the letter L and also the same for the area you see something printed across the neck. Take the photos in natural light without using the flash. If you need to, take the pics from a few different angles. Thank you.

love old coins and LilMomma35 like this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to the wide, wide world of coin collecting! Be warned, it is hideously addicting!

That is an interesting anomaly. Typically, us coin minded folks try to sort out how an oddity can occur given the minting process. When nothing fits that scenario, we usually gravitate toward some sort of damage scenario. And at times neither fit….. Certainly, this is an interesting anomaly. It is difficult to reason it out given the minting process. You see, coins are banged out by the thousands. If one exists, then there should be others…. My mind tends to lean toward somebody messing around with the coin….. If you could manage a closer shot of that area somehow, it might help us.

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The letters aren't individually punched into a working die. LIBERTY and the rest of the mottos are on the Master hub. The Master hub makes Master dies, Master dies make working hubs, working hubs make working dies, and the working dies strike the coins by the tens or hundreds of thousands each. If the L was really a D, it would have had to happen to the master hub, which would mead EVERY working die would be like it

Sorry but it's just some sort of circulation mark or damage. Regardless of the cause, it couldn't have occurred during the die making process. The mark on the neck appears to be damage as well

18. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Now its imprinted into this thread...!!

19. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

If this was a Mint error, wouldn't there be hundreds or thousands of them before the "error" was discovered? Deliberately altered PM? Seems too "perfect" for a PM hit.

20. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

21. LilMomma35

LilMomma35 New Member

Thank you for you polite response!

Draft saved Draft deleted