Major burglary . . . 300 oz AU

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ToughCOINS, Oct 6, 2023.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

[​IMG]

INVESTIGATING AGENCY: Bonner County SO

TYPE OF INCIDENT: Theft-Residential

INCIDENT LOCATION: Sandpoint, ID

DATE OCCURRED: 8/1/23-9/20/23

Detectives with the Bonner County Sheriff's office are investigating a Burglary/Theft

that occurred within the last sixty days from an elderly victim. The suspect/suspects stole 300 one ounce gold coins from a safe located at the residence.

STOLEN:

200 - One ounce Australian/Nugget Kangaroos

100 - Once American Gold Eagles

Detectives are looking for any dealer who has bought or come into contact with any person/persons attempting to sell a large amount of the above listed coins.

There are no additional details at this time.

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

This Crime Alert is intended to advise you of criminal activity that may affect you or your business. If you have questions or suspect information, call the issuing law enforcement agency.
    NCIC | numismaticcrimes.org
    Numismatic Crime Information Center | P.O. Box 14080, Arlington, TX 76094
    Unsubscribe strummer289@metrocast.net
    Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice
    Sent by doug@numismaticcrimes.org powered by
    [​IMG]
    Try email marketing for free today!

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Holy cats.

When people talk about not trusting banks or the market, this is the sort of thing I think about. :(

JPD3, Randy Abercrombie and Mr. Flute like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's terrible.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

OH MAN !!!! that suxs big time. wouldn't you like to get your hands on him,them,her, whatever it was, preferably around their pie hole and squeeze and feed them ASE done their throat. I hate a freakin thief. thats all rant over.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Doesn't really give much to go on. I'm just going to guess this is a safe-cracking ring meaning they know how to keep the distribution on the quiet.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The way things like this would happen in "the neighborhood" (and I'll just leave that at that) is the burglars were tipped by a local. The tipster gets paid and the burglars get the burglary. They don't pull these jobs off without a tipster.

GoldFinger1969 and rte like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sad news. I feel sorry for the victim and hope this was not their life savings.
    It's also sad that there is a 50 day window that the theft happened. That sure gives the bad guys a nice head start.
    I would bet the sheriff has a list of those that knew there was a half a million in gold being stored in the house. Chances are, it was a friend or family.

9. rte

rte Well-Known Member

That 50 day widow is interesting.
    Maybe an alternate home?
    But active security system/cameras on a half million in PM's wouldn't be the worst money spent.

eddiespin likes this.
  10. -jeffB

I didn't catch the 50-day window the first time. He might just not check his safe very frequently -- but if he was living there the whole time, it's even more chilling.

11. pmbug

pmbug Taking steps on my thousand mile journey

If you can afford 300oz gold, you can afford more than one safe or better home security (reinforced doors and windows, security system/alarm, etc.). It's sad that this happened, but I have to think it could have been prevented with some better attention to security matters.

12. -jeffB

Reinforced doors, security systems, and multiple safes don't help if the culprit is in a position of trust. Having half a million to spend on gold doesn't necessarily imply good judgement, but even if you DO have good judgement, you can still be betrayed. :(

13. pmbug

pmbug Taking steps on my thousand mile journey

Report in the OP didn't make clear the timeframe of the theft. I thought it was a break-in/burglary.

50 day window and I'm thinking the elderly folk need to talk to their children...

14. -jeffB

Or stop talking to them, if that turns out to be the answer. :(

15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

And to think…. I was just grousing about my gold being locked up at the bank just a week ago. I take it all back now…. And home they catch the lowlife. And inflict pain when they do. I have zero sympathy for a crook.

16. CoinMagic

CoinMagic Member

@eddiespin, I think you're right that this job was, unfortunately, aided by a very untrustworthy tipster.

This adage from one CT poster bears repeating: A secret is between you and yourself.

My own family and friends do not know that I am interested in or collect coins at all. Not willing to risk being betrayed in any fashion.

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That’s allot of GOLD, but hopefully it will be covered under there homeowners policy
    as long as they kept good records it shouldn’t
    be a problem.

18. -jeffB

You really, really need to read the fine print on your homeowner's policy, if you haven't already.

For example, from State Farm's standard homeowners policy in OK:

https://www.oid.ok.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/040218_HW-2136-2017.pdf

If you want gold covered, you generally need a rider, and you need to pay an extra premium. And that premium isn't cheap. I'm thinking it's 1-2% of covered value per year -- so, $20-40 per ounce per year.

That would put the premium for 300oz of gold at $6000-12000 per year.

Joel Turner, eddiespin and mpcusa like this.
  19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I think if your going to keep that much GOLD
    at home that you would make sure it’s covered that’s a no brainer in my book !
    or if not a safe deposit box might be a better
    option ?

20. Joel Turner

Joel Turner Active Member Supporter

Get insurance thru Hugh Wood or another reputable company. As stated above riders on homeowner's policy can be very expensive, I know, I checked with my State Farm agent years ago here in VA and not doable. Also, many banks and credit unions have restrictions on how much they will cover for loss, if coins or bullion are even allowed under lease agreements, and the terms of these agreements change all the time.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

IF anyone here still has a safety deposit box, they better go check the contents and ask for new update guide lines as to what you are allowed to store and coverage.
    Better kept at home.

Jeffjay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted