Major announcement just weeks away.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kirkuleez, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It’s spectacular in every way! It simply shouldn’t exist in that state of preservation, yet there it is.

dsnutes1, CoinBlazer and MikeinWyo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I really appreciate your feedback, and I couldn’t agree more. The only goal is to benefit the hobby, there’s really is no need for another high commission outlet. We’ll have to have a nominal fee to keep afloat of course, but lm talking very nominal. Perhaps this is the area that I can work out bargains for CT members.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Honestly I feel this is something missing from the hobby right now and would be very excited to see a venue such as this and wish you guys the best of luck if that is the goal

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I like it and wish you great success.... From the cheap seats I would offer this. Your market will mostly be older more established collectors. Many like me that struggle a bit with the digital age. Last week I signed up for Heritage Auctions to bid on a coin. Most confusing event of my week. I still am unsure if I placed a bid or not. And I would bet I am like most that didn’t grow up with an I-thing in my hands. It’s just not an intuitive thing for me no matter how hard I try. So quite simply.... Keep it as simple as possible.

CoinCorgi, Numismat and Dave363 like this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Like:

1. Great variety in all price levels
    2. Fair prices
    3. Even trades. No “I will only let you trade that coin at a value of what I would give if I was purchasing it outright for my inventory” crap.
    4. Talking with dealers who are both knowledgeable and enjoy the pursuit and study of coins.
    5. A platform for vetted coin sellers of all walks of life.

Dislike:

1. Sleazeball dealers
    2. Crap photos
    3. Overpriced certified coins

Kirkuleez and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  8. athrose

athrose Member

Great idea and I hope it works well. My only addition to what I’ve seen so far from others is the elimination of last second bidding. I’ve seen some gun sites that have a 15 minute rule. The auction is automatically extended by 15 minutes from the last bid. This prevents last second snip bidding which I hate.

jafo50, Kirkuleez and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Meaning no disrespect, the word, I think, is "bated". Sorry, I am rather into correct spelling, being a former spelling bee champ.
    BTW, this thread, with coins valued in the millions of dollars, is probably way above my pay grade.

green18 and Kentucky like this.
  10. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

Do yourself, us collectors and the hobby a favor by following this advice.

Kirkuleez and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

@Kirkuleez And you've gone about as far as you can go Kirk. From this point on you would be best to relegate your posts on this subject to the ad sections. And for the record, I wish you all the luck in the world with your venture !

And other members, by all means feel free to post about the things Kirk asked about, likes and dislikes about auction sites and online trading. But be careful about what you say about specific coins and stuff as it's all too easy to slip into making veiled offers. So try and restrict your posts and comments to being about likes and dislikes.

Of course anybody can also contact Kirk by PM if you wish to.

ldhair, Kentucky and Kirkuleez like this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I am very excited to see this in the works.

I think ease of use and high variety are what will be most important. I think clarity on international shipping might also help those of us who live outside the US and want to participate.

I’m someone who doesn’t have a lot of money, so I would personally love to see some affordable things alongside those fancy ones.

I also think that a feedback system is very important. I don’t know the best way to do this, or if/how you plan to tackle that, but eBay does a decent job and I think if you had something similar, you’d be on the right track.

I’m sure we are all happy to help bug test and provide feedback. You might consider creating an online survey for us to respond without having to put our names to it (survey monkey for example).

Kirkuleez likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Works better as a pun with my spelling though :)

CoinCorgi, green18 and John Skelton like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Finally, we've got a most qualified fellow to do the correcting.......where are your 'papers'? devil.gif

Kirkuleez and ldhair like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Papers...papers...I don' need no stinkin' papers...

CoinCorgi likes this.
  16. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

LOL.......

Aidan_() likes this.
  18. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

This is the best news I've heard in quite a while. Look forward to seeing what you come out with. There's certainly a market for this. My biggest issue with buying coins online is the horrendous photos. Trying to judge if something's been cleaned, etc..
    I think an effective way of marketing coins which basically need to be viewed from multiple angles would be to have pics taken from multiple angles and create a gif file to animate it. I've seen them posted on here and it works great. If a website could support that as easy as it is to upload photos to ebay, that'd be fantastic.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  19. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Quite interested in the pricing model as I just got bit hard this week by a 12% premium + 8% sales tax. Considering I don't even remember bidding :hungover:, 8% after 12% calculated hurt and I now need to find something I have a little more confidence in than ebay when it comes to older coinage, but hopefully something one can be competitive in with bids.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Still dealing with the site people. This is still on, just taking longer than I thought to get it all together.

I will refrain from any other comments on this thread out of respect for the forum rules, but I would still appreciate any comments as to likes and dislikes of buying online.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to the time you add French coins to the mix :)

A pet peeve of mine with most of the auction houses is that they make two passes at the auction. First you get all the hype, "place your bids over the next few days", yadda yadda. So you do, and on *the* day, you have the high bid. Then on *the* day, there's a "live auction", where your bid is simply the opening bid, and it starts all over. As a buyer, I just don't get it and resent being asked to basically go through two auctions to make my bids.

As an aside, I manages to piss off someone at LK by calling the first one "the fake auction", really more of a slip of the tongue. They didn't react well to the suggestion though :)

Kirkuleez and TyCobb like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted