MAJOR 2014 DDO discovered!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by non_cents, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

What would a 2.749243 be?

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

My post doesn't support your point. The difference in your photos is only noticeable by zooming in on the date. Just cause I said I could see the difference between the zoomed in photos, doesn't mean that I said it was a big difference or that I believe it is a significant difference. Please don't confuse them.

Secondly, I don't view microscopic differences between coins that were created at the moment they were struck as significant as a coins wear and condition as a whole (which can be determined by the naked eye).

I honestly don't even know why we are comparing grading and doubling. They are completely different things.

4. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

So is hub doubling and machine doubling.

This describes machine doubling. The coin above is a doubled die, that anyone with fair eye sight could determine with the naked eye. The difference wasn't created "at the moment it was struck." It was created when they were making the die. That's how doubled dies are created.

I'm done with this anyway. If you don't like it don't collect it, but don't act like everyone that does like it is stupid for it. It's a major, single squeeze era, doubled die. It's a fact, just like water is wet. It doesn't mean you have to like it or believe it. And yes, I know you didn't say that people were stupid for coveting it, but what else would one draw from your statements.

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

The coin is created when it is struck with a die. It is at that moment that a coin struck with a doubled die has doubling. How can a coin have doubling when it hasn't been struck yet?

Although I didn't say collecting DD's is stupid, I do think spending big bucks on them is stupid. That's just my opinion. Please don't take that as me saying it is in fact stupid. I'm sure I do things that others find stupid too. If you truly enjoy it, then the only stupid thing would be not doing what you enjoy.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  6. Mikes923

Mikes923 New Member

Wow that's pretty cool

7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

PCGS and NGC call that a " Plus " grade, somewhere in the middle of the 2 grades ...

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually it IS the amount of doubling. For what are supposed to be single squeeze dies this is a major doubling. Usually hub doubling on single squeeze dies is very small and confined to the central area of the die. To have this much separation and to be so far from the center is very unusual. And if you know what you are looking for this is a naked eye variety.

jay4202472000 and non_cents like this.
  9. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I missed this thread originally so I'm glad for the bump.

I want to see a CT member find one.

jay4202472000 and non_cents like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted