MAJOR 2014 DDO discovered!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by non_cents, Apr 30, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

so a slight misalignment will cause the punch to "snap" the die back into place while punching it causing extra thickness on some of the design?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

The hub and die will snap into place, causing a little "skip" that results in an extra hubbing, which can be seen as distortion and extra thickness. (At least that is the way I understand it.)

atrox001 likes this.
  4. coingeek12

Oh, i get ya'. OK, thanks!
    :)

5. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

dies.JPG Just a crude illustration of my understanding

non_cents and jay4202472000 like this.
  6. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

By looking at your illustration, I am seeing this more as a type of 'machine doubling', someone correct me if I'm wrong. If my view of this is correct, it appears there is not true doubling, so how could this actually be considered a 'doubled die'??? We see other coins that have 'machine doubling', and they are not considered a DD, which is obvious, and correct..... so if the press causes this, I ask again, how can we consider this a true 'doubled die'???

7. coingeek12

Machine doubling is when the coin is struck twice and moves slightly during the second strike, double dies are dies that have doubling on them.

8. Numismania

I have fully understood what must take place to cause machine doubling for a long time (not trying to be offensive), and a coin is not struck twice to cause strike doubling. If a coin were struck twice, that would be considered a 'double struck' coin, which has it's own error attribution. They can vary from ever-so-slight double strikes, to extremely noticeable double strikes. In this case, the die moved while in the collar, causing this anomaly. I see it as nothing more than a 'thick date' vs. a 'thin', or 'normal', date, caused by some movement in the collar. Given the definition of machine doubling..."Machine doubling is created when the die shifts slightly as a coin is being struck. Machine doubling is the result of loose mechanical parts that cause a poor strike." In the illustration shown, the dies did shift/move, thus becoming 'loose' enough to cause a, not so much a 'poor' strike, but an abnormally thick strike. Again, I see this nothing more than a case of thick vs. thin date. A 'variety', perhaps yes, but not a 'major doubled die'.

9. Numismania

double post, sorry

10. coingeek12

Die doubling happens as the die is being struck, while machine doubling happens while the coin is being struck. thats how i see it...

atrox001 likes this.
  11. Numismania

The Lincoln Cent Resource describes machine doubling here...http://www.lincolncentresource.com/FAQ/machinedoubling.html

edited to say...I apologize, coingeek, if I sound 'holier than though'...I am NOT trying to. I'm merely comparing the movement of something while the planchet and dies are in the collar, and something move to create an 'abnormal' strike, and I am only basing my assumption of it being machine doubling, as indicated in the illustration, something moved while dies and plancget were in the collar. If the planchet moves causing machine doubling, wouldn't it be considered somewhat the same (though reversed....die moving instead of planchet) if the die moved, instead of the coin? In the sense of the definition, something moved while both were in the collar. Whether it be the coin or die(s), something was 'loose', again, only gauging by the illustration and going by the definition.

If you found me to seem condescending, please understand I am not, and if you did, please accept my apology, as that was NOT my intent, whatsoever.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

double dies aren't just motto(s) being doubled, or dates, for the lincolns, theres also double ear

13. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

This happened during the creation of the die. No planchet, collar, ect. had anything to do with this coin. If you truly believe what you are saying, the famous 1955 doubled die is nothing special either. It is a Class 1 doubled die (rotated hub doubling). The die was hubbed once and then, before the next hubbing, the hub rotated. Something was loose. The illustration above is showing a die & hub, not a die and planchet. That is the difference. These doubled dies were created during the die hubbing process, not the striking process. Loose parts during the striking process is what causes MD. If you don't like it say, "That coin is ugly, That's a sucky looking hunk of junk, or I hate that coin." Just don't say it shouldn't be labeled a doubled die. If it isn't, there is no such thing as a doubled die.

gunnovice09 and atrox001 like this.
  14. Numismania

Yes, the doubled ear is confirmed for the '84 Lincoln, but there's also a thread here about a 'possible' 2006 Lincoln doubled ear. So, given that you mention the doubled ear, this leads me to ask this question (and not to trying to derail the thread or get off the OP's topic), but why does it seem most questions having to do with the possibility of a coin being a doubled die, mostly seem to be predominantly about Lincoln cents? Including this one, there are 4 total threads about 'possible' DD's in the last twelve threads/recent topics, and all have to do with Lincolns? Or am I just imagining this? Yes, I'm aware there are plenty of other denom's that have them (Washington quarters seem to be 2nd, IMO, and I don't consider 'overlapping edge lettering' on the Chuck-e-Ch...er, Prez dollars, which I don''t really consider a real coin, more of a 'token' to me). Correct me if I'm wrong, but most seem to have to do with Lincolns. Is it due to the size of the coin, or.....???

15. Numismania

Though I do NOT have to agree with the OP and his opinion of his coin being a 'major doubled die', I would NEVER call ANY collector's coin a 'piece of junk', and anyone that does, probably doesn't have many friends, as that kind of person, to ME, is a 'one way' person, and is the type to look down on other aspects of a person, whether it be their job, g/f, car, etc. I NEVER said I thought the OP's coin was 'junk', I merely stated my OPINION that I don't happen to think it's a 'major doubled die', as others have also stated. To call a person's 'discovery', that could very well be put in the CPG (I just disagree with what it should be classified as) a piece of junk, is a classless thing to do. Yes, not agreeing with something is one thing, stating it is, IMO, more of a 'thick vs. thin' date thing, is NOT in any way alluding to it being a piece of junk. That is callous thing to say, and not very encouraging to keep looking.

16. Numismania

As an aside, I was specifically referring to the illustration, and was under the impression it was the obv/rev die in the collar already. No need to 'jump my ****' for having an opinion about something, and being wrong (I guess you don't know what that's like). And explain to me where I even ALLUDED to the fact that, while I disagree with it being referred to as a 'major doubled die', I alluded to it being a 'piece of junk'? Why haven't you asked every other person who doesn't see it as a 'major doubled die' why THEY don't 'just call it a piece of junk'? I see NOONE that disagrees with it being a DD even HINTING it is a 'piece of junk'. Or, is that what YOU think about it, and want to pass the buck and not take the heat?

17. jay4202472000

No, no, my dear fellow. I think the coin is awesome! Also, I never said you alluded to it being a piece of junk, but I would rather you say that than comparing it to machine doubling. Also, the OP didn't discover it, he just thought (I'm assuming here, correct me if I'm wrong noncents) that folks would be excited about the discovery. I expected it also. I'm majorly pumped about this discovery.

Please accept my apology as I didn't mean to be "jumping your ****". That was not my goal. So sorry about that, seriously. I am not trying to offend.

18. jay4202472000

19. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

20. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

How can there be a determined value on it if none have sold yet and it is unknown how many are out there. This coin may not be worth a ton but is worth more than a few dollars.

non_cents and jay4202472000 like this.
  21. jay4202472000

Rick, you're kidding, right?!?

There's one on eBay, right now, that's at $28 with 3 & 1/2 days left. Sorry, that's more than "a couple dollars".

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371062747816?nav=SEARCH

Draft saved Draft deleted