MAJOR 2014 DDO discovered!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by non_cents, Apr 30, 2014.

1. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Jim Fines, a collector and member of the Lincoln Cent Resource, stunned us all this past week with the discovery of an extremely strong DDO! According to attributors, this one matches if not exceeds the doubling seen on the famed 2011P-1DO-004, and rivals the doubling on that of the 2006P-1DO-017. Clear notching and obvious, heavy distortion can be seen on just about anywhere on the obverse of this coin, and it is noted that this particular example has possibly the largest spread in the bow tie of any modern Lincoln Cent doubled die.

Jason Cuvelier had the opportunity to photograph this amazing specimen recently, and coppercoins.com announced that it will be saving the 1DO-001 title for this coin.
    Jason gave me permission to post his photos here to share with the cointalk community, and here they are!

[​IMG]

And a comparison to the strongest DDOs of the past decade or so...
    [​IMG]

I am not an expert, but to my eyes it looks like a class IV+VIII (offset/tilted) doubled die much like the 2011 die 4, but of course I will leave that one to the attributors. :bookworm:
    Keep this one on your radar screens, with a doubled die this major, I would think that there are a bunch of other major doubled dies for 2014 that have not yet been discovered!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

the mint has to be upset....

4. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

That is cool and I guess the search is on!...I have a 95 that I bought just so I could have one.....

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

That is what they call major doubling? Ill take your word for it, I wish I could see stuff like that. It looks like a normal cent to me.

Endeavor, Ed Sims, Kasia and 5 others like this.
  6. non_cents

Compare it to a normal coin and you'll see a drastic difference...

Once the mint switched to single-squeeze hubbing, the number of doubled dies drastically decreased...hence, we don't get ones as big as the 1995, 1983 DDR, 1972, etc anymore. Comparatively, this is probably the 2nd strongest doubled die in a decade.

7. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

C'mon man. Nothing about that looks even remotely close to normal. That's massive distortion.

atrox001 and gunnovice09 like this.
  8. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Meh... I see what you're saying. And the significance. But I'd rather see doubling than stretching.

jwitten, atrox001, RaceBannon and 2 others like this.
  9. non_cents

The problem is, as mentioned in post 5, the single-squeeze hubbing process that the mint has used for about the last 15 years eliminated the issues that would cause major doubled dies, like rotated and pivoted hub doubling (which produce some of the strongest/most extreme forms of doubling), which cause the classic separation and doubled look. The doubled dies have been a product of the "class IX" form of doubling that has only come about from the change in the hubbing process. I wish the mint would switch back to their old ways, but I guess they aren't as enthusiastic about doubled dies as we are...:arghh:

atrox001 likes this.
  10. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I don't understand all the hoopla behind doubling that some folks give it. I just don't get it. I sometimes wonder if it's all just a massive prank. Laughing secretly at those they befuddle.

Ed Sims and medjoy like this.
  11. non_cents

Because it is a mistake that the mint made, and some people find that collectable. Error/variety collecting from circulation, in a way, is a method of collecting where you can't really lose money. Anything noteworthy is sold to people who collect the same thing for a profit, and normal coins get returned for face value. Plus, it's kind of like a treasure hunt...it's fun!! :)

More than that, the idea of people collecting "errors" is present in many other hobbies, whether they are in trading cards, stamps, and other collectibles. If you don't particularly like it, that's fine...leaves more for me to find. ;)

green18 and CallMeButter like this.
  12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Okay, you've partially convinced me on the 'fun of hunting and risk-free aspect'. However, why not hunt for something more spectacular and noteworthy? The "doubled coin" in this thread doesn't look much different than a non-doubled coin. To me it seems like splitting hairs. If you look close enough, you will find that no two coins ever produced are 100% identical.

I'm not criticizing what you like. I'm just wondering why some find such minor differences so special.

Ed Sims likes this.
  13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Given the infinitesimal degree of doubling on most of the Modern Lincolns reported so far, this coin is fantastic!

I might even join in the "hunt"!

You going to the Sacto Show?

Jwt708 and non_cents like this.
  14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

True Variety Collectors love this kind of stuff and to be able to classify it for its type of doubling.................. is a Major Step!

non_cents likes this.
  15. non_cents

Well, this obviously isn't the only doubled die to be found...there are thousands of different doubled dies already discovered, a good handful of them not even requiring any magnification to spot. This one is noteworthy because in comparison to recent doubled dies, it stands out. It is by no means the only doubled die you can find in circulation. We had a guy on another forum pull an AU 1972 die 4 a few years back, which sold for well over $1000 if I remember correctly.

And yes, if you look at 2 coins closely enough, they will be different. But could you really identify WHY they are different, how the anomaly occurred, and their difference be anything related to a mistake by the mint?

Error/variety searching is not the only reason to have an interest in these. It also gives collectors knowledge and education about the inner workings of the minting process. I can't speak for everyone of course, but that is some cool knowledge to learn by just doing some rollhunting and research.

I guess it could just be my trained eye, but to me this really does not look anything like a "normal" strike. The 2011 die 4, which is extremely close in appearance to this one, can be seen with little magnification and were selling for almost $100 a pop in AU when they were selling hot.

Think I may sit this one out, man...this is my last week of classes before "senior project" time, and Sacramento is a good distance away. But maybe I can plan on heading go either the San Jose show or the Sacramento show at the end of May...

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  16. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

I am for sure having, but I sure do need a class on these errors! I have a nice coin collection, but never looked for errors until two weeks ago. I would have had definite difficulty in determining this one, but AWESOME FIND! Now I have to go through all those penny rolls again :)

17. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

opppsssss for sure Having Fun!

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks for nothing, non_cents! That's all we need. Now, we'll have to look at thousands and thousands of tiny, blurry photos posted every day with the OP asking, "What is this?".

J/K!

Chris

lincolncent, Jwt708, Ed Sims and 3 others like this.
  19. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I agree, it seems to me theres nothing more then notching on the 2014, it also seem the U in TRUST is always doubled, on all shield cents, they need some markers on the 2014, die cracks, die groves, etc

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    jello likes this.
  20. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

awesome you need to sub mitt it to copper coins.com and coneca

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

We'll just refer them to the Frisco Kid..........:)

non_cents, jello and Rick Stachowski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted