Featured Maine’s Bicentennial

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by alurid, Apr 25, 2020.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The State of Maine was granted statehood on March 15th 1820, to become the 23rd state as part of the Missouri Compromise. Which was designed to balance the power between the North and South in the Senate. Maine has a few thing (like all states do) that make it unique. It is the only state that has a one syllable name and the only state to border just one other state. It is the northernmost state east of the Great Lakes and it is also the easternmost state among the contiguous United States. Maine is the first state to receive a sunrise.

For Maine’s 200th birthday a Token has been issued to commemorate the occasion. It comes in brass and a special mintage issued in nickel. I have not been able to find any information about who designed this medal and where they were made. I was able to purchase the bronze variety shown here.
    me (1).jpg me (2).jpg

In 1920 the U.S. Mint issued a Commemorative Half Dollar for Maine’s Centennial. Its design came from an artist from Monmouth, ME. The wiki site for this coin give somewhat confusing information, (as it gives two different names for the artist of the sketches.) This design made in Monmouth, ME was submitted to the U.S. Mint where it was sculpted by Anthony de Francisci, the designer of the Peace Dollar. Here is a photo of my Maine Centennial Half Dollar. And link to wiki information. me (3).jpg me (4).jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Centennial_half_dollar

In 1970 Maine celebrated its Sesquicentennial. Two different type of Medals with a variety of sizes were released that year. This first one is a design by American Sculptor, Granville Carter, Who was born in Augusta Maine. This medal is the Official Maine Sesquicentennial Medal. I have only seen these in two sizes 38 & 64 mm struck in bronze and .999 silver. These were produced at the Medallic Art Co. NY. I call this type “Dawn of America”.
    me (5).JPG me (6).JPG

The Second 150th year medal was designed by Toivo Johnson, a Numismatists from Maine, known for the Coin Designers Medal Series, and other Maine tokens. The dies for these Maine medals were sculpted by engraver Robert Schabel. They were produced at the Medal art Co. NY. I have seen these available in bronze, copper colored bronze and .999 silver, in three sizes of 40, 62 and 76 mm. I call this type the “4 seasons”.
    me (11).jpg me (12).jpg

I invite all of you to post your Coins, Tokens, Medals and really anything Maine related as a tribute to The Great State of Maine on its 200th Birthday.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks for posting these medals. Medallic Art Co. of NY (MACONY and/or MACO) is my favorite private mint in the U.S. ~ Chris

alurid likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

These are two Medallic Art Co. medals that I purchased separately and modified this box to keep them in. They are both 64mm, The Bronze is 6.0 oz troy and the Silver is 7.0 oz troy. The silver one is a bit harder to find. I am sure that some of these have gone to melt.
    20200328_204250.jpg
    20200328_203442.jpg
    20200328_203437.jpg 20200328_203432.jpg

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Great write up and wonderful history. Thanks for sharing.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

In 1972 a series of ten Maine tokens was made available by Toivo Johnson. These are the last of his issues as he past away in 1973.
    These come in bronze and aluminum with different colors.The first one is Kittery Me.
    #1 (1).jpg #1 (2).jpg

During the Revolution, the first vessels of the U.S. Navy were constructed on Badgers Island at Kittery, including the 1777 USS Ranger commanded by John Paul Jones.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kittery,_Maine

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Eric the Red, Gilbert and green18 like this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

15. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Penobscot Bay. Site of the worst naval defeat in US history...... devil.gif

DSC_3162.JPG

DSC_3164.JPG

17. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Maine is the First for many things some good some not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Expedition
    Paul Revere, who commanded the artillery in the expedition, was accused of disobedience and cowardice. Kinda hard to imagine such a statement.

18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Eric the Red, Evan Saltis and Gilbert like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The Fort, by Bernard Cornwell, is a most excellent novel regarding this event.

Eric the Red and alurid like this.
  20. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Sad is I don’t have anything from here. Looking for a great toner Maine commem and as ugly as it is the York county one too as I live there

Gilbert and alurid like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted