Mahalo for I.D. assistance

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by born_raisedMaui, Oct 7, 2018.

1. born_raisedMaui

born_raisedMaui New Member

Aloha,
    I “inherited” a little box of coins from an ex-boyfriend about 20 years ago. I have ferried them around with me through various moves, but know bupkis of their worth, if any.
    The only real one of note, as it’s encased in a cardboard sleeve, is evidently from Persia.
    I did an interweb search, and after a bit of time came across some that appear identical (at least to my untrained eye), though I was not able to ascertain estimated value (aside from the mere glory in the fact that I have ownership and the ex does not).
    Any ideas what this little gold guy goes for?
    Thank you in advance for any and all knowledge imparted.
    FDC28F31-4787-41F8-9B74-81BD5C2C38E2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the reverse?

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Iran. how big is it in Millimeters ? Looks like a gold Toman denomination. just not sure which 1 ? in my 19th century Krause world coin catalog. post of a photo of the other side of this coin please.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Looks like it's dated AH1299 or 1881 and the image matches up with coins of Iran from that period with an image of Nasir al-Din. I don't see that particular coin in KM on a quick look. The item does look a little "odd".

Edit; looks a lot like this one...

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces57362.html

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Is there writing on the 2x2?
    I see something like ink at the top of the cropped picture.

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would agree on the date 1299(1882). Iran/Persia KM#927, 5000 Dinars is the denomination. mint:Tehran. .900 gold, weight- 1.437.2 grams or .0416 oz.
    Obv. first Nassir bust.
    from my 2004 Krause catalog grade/value
    Fine-$50.00 Very Fine-$70.00 Extra Fine-$120.00 Uncirculated-$200.00
    not sure what your coins grade is without seeing the other side of this coin ???
    these prices I am sure higher now... just don't know how much higher it is ?
    you could have a very valuable coin. We need a photo of the other side of this coin.

8. born_raisedMaui

C5A1B43B-D5A5-44F4-851B-28733D088F16.jpeg Hi,
    Thank you all so much for the ideas and research. Not snapping a photo of the back was a true rookie move (doh!)

Here it is, along with box and the rest of the coins. The one sitting up top is one of the few I’ve added to the collection. (Not foreign, so apologies if site rules are strict on such matters)

I was a food server for many years and received it after a customer asked if I’d seen one before — I believe the coins must have just come out, so it would have been 1999. I’ve always kept it wrapped up in that paper as I had a cursory knowledge about the edges needing to be unmarred (question: does that matter?)

There are a few buffalo nickels in the box and these have always appealed to me so much, as do wheat penny.

A question occurred to me after I posted last night. As coin aficionados and appreciators, is it considered a mortal sin to turn coins into rings? I’ve always fancied the look, and wondered if it is an egregious offense. (Not to get political or attempt to stir anything up ...)

Mahalo much again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

thank you for the reverse photo. I am 90% certain it is :
    I would agree on the date 1299(1882). Iran/Persia KM#927, 5000 Dinars is the denomination. mint:Tehran. .900 gold, weight- 1.437.2 grams or .0416 oz.
    Obv. first Nassir bust.
    from my 2004 Krause catalog grade/value
    Fine-$50.00 Very Fine-$70.00 Extra Fine-$120.00 Uncirculated-$200.00
    as I said before. this grade is tricky for me... I would guess Extra Fine+ I am not an expert in these coins. If I were you I would take this coin to your local coin shop if you have 1 there where you live and find out for sure. If there is a coin show in your area I would take this coin in for a second and third opinion on value. do not make the mistake of getting just bullion for it $50.00 it is worth way more than that. after looking on Ebay the prices on these have shot thru the ruff. so value wise I am not sure what it's current value is ?

11. born_raisedMaui

Aloha Cointalk,

I previously posted photos here, and received wonderful, helpful assistance on the possible what, where and when of a coin in my possession.

I’ve returned in the hopes of more brain picking. (Cue diabolical laugh)

Attached are photos as a refresher. When first I posted, I cropped out the cardboard sleeve as I did not want to influence any estimations as to its worth, since the price paid was revealed. Even closely cropped, paddyman98 had a sharp eye and noticed some writing :)

Reminder: I inherited the coin, and have had it for about 22 years.

spirityoda and muzyck, if I may, why does mine look “odd,” and how can it be so very similar to link proffered and other photos I glimpse online, but none are just like mine.

I know the details matter — on my coin his hat has a swoop on top and wreath of leaves on other side only goes half around, and on web search I see where his shirt has ornate button and much more writing around his person.

I have had no luck on eBay finding an exact match and we don’t have coin shops or auctions or shows coming through the island. I am considering mailing it to my sons in San Francisco as I see dealers there, but my luck it’ll turn out to be an ancient Persian subway token :)

Has anyone further advice to impart?

I found this site (link below) that sold a coin similar to mine for 750 euro. (price “realized”?), and I would be very happy to discover mine could fetch same.

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...Lot=1004&Val=41d38caef70f966e19581aea4249f5ac

As always, mahalo much for any and all wisdom imparted.

born_raiseMaui

678F1174-5241-4F47-8C12-E744AD008502.jpeg

504C3003-FFC9-49FD-B7EB-4CB357EADFFE.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I think your coin is the one we identified at this link with the only difference being the date around the bust. The link has a date of ١٣٠١ (1301). Your coin appears to be dated ١٢٩٩ (1299).

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces57362.html

It looked "odd" at first to me because of the design but it matches the images in Numista.

The auction link you posted is a much larger coin equal to four of the one you have. It is listed on Numista with a rarity index of 100 which is the top on their scale. Notice the writing around the bust that is not present on your example.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces29120.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. born_raisedMaui

Muzyck —

Thank you for the follow up.
    A wee sum, but that is alright.

‍♀️{guess I better cancel the Lamborghini}

born_raisedMaui
    ‍♀️

Muzyck likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted