Magnum electric safes on sale at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I know nothing about safes. These are probably not what you want to store your high-end valuables in, but thought I'd post here just in case. Maybe good for important papers, cheaper coins/bills, etc.?

Personal Electronic Security Safe - $34.88
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/204587709

0.58 cu. ft. Wall Security Safe - $54.88
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/204587702

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I would think that a small safe like this would need to have a good fire rating, but I don't even see anything mentioned on the wall safe.

Chris

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

12 pounds?? Better buy 6 or 8, so the burglar has to make two trips...

"Product Weight (lb.) 12 lb"

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

The body of these "safes" are of 19-gauge steel less than 1/20th of an inch thick. That's slightly thinner than the steel in a typical office filing cabinet. Such containers accomplish a couple of things.
    • For a thief, they act as a sign reading "here there be valuables." This might provide some protection if you use the safe as a decoy and stash the actual valuables elsewhere.
    • They won't prevent a 12-year kid from busting in, but it will be obvious when they do.
    The first step in buying the right safe is knowing what threats you are trying to thwart. The second step is to determine what is politely called "risk tolerance" and what I call "paranoia versus pocketbook" issues. Each of us perceives and accepts risk differently, so there's no one-size fits all solution even for people with similar objective needs.

afantiques likes this.
  6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

In the security industry safes are rated by the amount of time it takes to break into one. These are about two minute safes at the most. More likely a thief would just crowbar it away from whatever it's fastened to and take the along with the contents.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Be careful with small fire safes like this. The walls of the safe hold moisture. That's what gives part of the fire protection. Great for papers but not for coins. Be sure to watch the humidity inside the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted