Magnifiers for coin viewing

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ReaperRuler, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

Hey all,

I apologize if this is in the wrong section and please move it if it is, but I was just wondering what magnifications work best for inspecting coins. I know there's a range of magnifiers and thats what is confusing me. Am i fine with using a 7x or 10x or do I need more? Also, for inspecting for DD errors, what magnification should I have for that.

Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

5X to 7X should be just fine.

4. I like my Bausch & Lomb 10x Hastings Triplet even for varieties. Welcome to CT. :smile. TC

5. ReaperRuler

So from what I'm gathering from these first two posts is that I dont need a whole ton of magnification. Good to know lol.

Thanks for the welcome TC ^^

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

For other than significant varieties you will most likely need a stronger glass. Depending on how minor, a 16x or more may be needed, but for general grading 5x (give or take) will suffice. If something you will use often, spend a little extra on quality optics and avoid the ebay cheapies (many of which do not have the magnification claimed).

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Reaper, for general use 5X to 7X is adequate. For variety or error searching I would recommend 10X.

8. ReaperRuler

Thanks to the both of you for your added advice ^^

9. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

I have a 7x and 10x jewelers loupe and I just got a bausch and limb 5x pachette magnifier. It was about 9 dollars plus shipping
    As everyone else said for general use a 5x is plenty but higher ones are needed when you are looking for varietys

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This the best glass I have ever found.
    [​IMG]

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

RR, Welcome to the forum!

The others have weighed in on magnification, let me throw other factors in. Get the best quality you can afford, look at some small print and see how much distortion you have from edge to edge of the glass. That is most important. Also if you intend to shoot photos through the magnifier, get a "long focus distance" lens. These allow you to be further away from the object so you don't block your own light. I have some 99 cent 2 plastic lens magnifiers, which go to 10X and I take them to the coin club or other places they may disappear, but they have distortion on the edges galore. My good one stays in my pocket :) Any magnifier is better than none, especially if you are an older person :)

Jim

12. ReaperRuler

Thank you for your advice Jim ^^

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I agree. Otto Frei has a great price when in-stock.

Draft saved Draft deleted