Magnetic vs Non-Magnetic ? Canada 5 cents 1988

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rounded, Aug 8, 2010.

1. rounded

rounded New Member

Today I took interest in coin collection. It started with US wheat pennies. Later, I discovered I had some canada currency which brings me to this question. THE MAGNET TEST!

I have a 1988 Canada 5 cent piece and a 1963. The 63' stuck to the magnet but the 88' did not.

My question is why is that?
    If you need more info pleae ask.

Thakns,

Matt
    043.JPG 001 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

The composition of those two are different. Up to 1981 they were made of nickel (1.00 nickel); from 1982 - 2001 they were cupro-nickel (.75 copper .15 nickel) and from 1999 - 2003 they were made of steel. However there are some issues where both were made in the last decade.

You should invest in a Charlton Standard Catalogue "Canadian Coins" which will give you a lot of information if you intend on collecting Canadian coinage.

4. Harry Behemoth

Harry Behemoth Junior Member

From the wiki page on Canadian nickels...

1955 - 1981 99% nickel
    1982 - 1999 75% copper 25% nickel
    2000 - present 94.5% steel, 3.5% copper, 2% nickel plating

Nickel is magnetic, so you would be able to pick up nickels from 82-99 if you had a very strong magnet.

5. rounded

rounded New Member

So if I had a bigger magnet I should be able to pick up the 25% nickel?

6. Harry Behemoth

Harry Behemoth Junior Member

This site claims that 25% nickel is not enough to make the coins magnetic.
    http://www.magneticcoins.info/p03what.htm
    I wonder if a very powerful magnet would work. Dunno.

2009 and 2010 canadian pennies come in both magnetic and nonmagnetic form in big numbers.

7. I have a non-mag 2001 no mint mark and a magnetic 2001 P. Is there any idea yet of which coins are the rarity? Any comments?

8. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

You are in for a great adventure!! But first... decide what you want to start with. Then buy the books and catalogues which cover the coins you are interested in. Buy the books first!! Read them!!

9. BaconSlayer

BaconSlayer Active Member

10. Robert Fortner

Robert Fortner New Member

What a 1952 Canadian nickel stick to a magnet

11. Robert Fortner

Robert Fortner New Member

Sorry guys I meant to say wood a 1952 nickel Canadian stick to a magnet

12. Terry5732

Terry5732 New Member

1952 is chrome plated steel and is attracted to magnet

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

25% nickel is not enough to be magnetic, as all US nickels (except war nickels) are 25%. And they don't stick to a magnet.
    Nickel is magnetic, so the nickel ones will stick, the dimes and nickels that are nickel plated steel are also magnetic.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

When the magnet test was first used to separate coin metals, they were the old fashion magnets. Now there are rare earth composite magnets that are much much stronger than the old ALNICO horseshoe or bar magnet commonly used. The current magnets ( I suspect the magnet pictured above is a neodymium as they tend to be encased due to rapid oxidation). Most Alnico seem to 100+ times weaker of similar size Neos. I would be hesitant using a Neodymium as a test to send off. Better to have a XRF test.

You might try separating the coins from the magnet with different thicknesses of books or pages to see if still similarity of attraction.Small amounts of difference with such a strong magnet could be from contaminants. IMO, Jim

Neodymium labels
    Grade Gauss
    N35 11,700-12,100
    N38 12,100-12,500
    N40 12,600-12,900
    N42 12,900-13,200
    N45 13,500-13,800
    N48 14,000-14,200
    N50 14,300-14,500
    N52 14,600-14,800

15. Earl Wade

Earl Wade New Member

So I have a 1969 quarter and my friend has one but his doesn't stick to magnet but mine does also the colour is way diff weight as well and his rings when flicked mines just dull

16. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Start your own thread and provide clear pictures.To me it sounds like just plated.How do these people find these ancient threads.

17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Yes, start a new thread. This thread is ages old. The 1969 quarter is 100% nickel and will be attracted to a STRONG magnet. If you were using the same magnet with the same date, then there's a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted