Macro Lens Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ReaperRuler, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

Hey guys,

So I'm starting to get into coin photography, got a Canon DSLR camera for Christmas and am looking into getting a macro lens for the camera to take coin photos. The 55mm lens that comes with the camera works well for large coins, but not so well for smaller coins. My confusion comes after reading this article. It states that macro lenses need to focus down to 1:1. How, when I'm searching for lenses, do I know if it does this? Is this something that you really need to worry about to get decent coin photos? I just would like to know this before I put down a lot of money for a macro lens.

Any questions and I'll try to clarify. Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I would think most coin photographers would say do a LOT more research before spending a lot of money on a lens.

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52101347

It's a good forum for reading reviews and discussions on cameras and equipment. I spent lots of time there before I bought my camera (originally a Nikon D7000, now a Nikon D600.)

I currently own a Tokina 100mm f 2.8 macro and have been pleased with it, FWIW. Solid build quality, great photos, and much less than a comparable Nikon lens.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

You are reading Mark Goodman's website; he is the best numismatic photographer out there in my opinion. Any quality lens from 100mm to 200mm from a reputable manufacturer should work well for you.

5. ReaperRuler

Is there a place in the lens's description that I can find out whether or not it focuses down to this distance? Is there a place on the lens itself? What does it mean when the lens says 1:3 around the rim, for instance? Also, I realize that it's Mark Goodman and I'm planning on purchasing his book when I can get around to it. I just was confused about this particular part in his article.

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I would check the item descriptions of the following sites:

Adorama
    Amazon
    B&H

Plus the manufacturer's site. At least one of them should have that information listed.

I also think Ken Rockwell has some pretty good reviews of photography equipment on his site.

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I know the quality won't be as good, but have you read about the trick with reversing a lens by using an adapter?

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

The lens description from the vendor will say whether it can focus to 1:1, though you may need to wade through information to find it. 1:1 is often called "life size", and gives you an enormously close-up view of whatever you're shooting. Here is a Canon 100mm Macro lens, 1:1, that I have, it's a good one at a fair price. The "1:3" you describe (I assume you made up the 3), is the maximum aperture of the lens. Usually it would be something like 1:2.8 or 1:4.

ReaperRuler likes this.
  9. ReaperRuler

Actually Dave, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you :)

I just was trying to wade through all the photography jargon and get a straight answer from someone. Plus the price on that lens is quite fair.

The 1:3 was made up, obviously. I was just getting an arbitrary point just to see if it meant what I thought it did. Thanks again

10. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Assuming that your CMOS sensor is half frame and not full frame the one Dave pointed out is great.

11. ReaperRuler

How do I find that information out?

12. KoinJester

What model is it?

13. ReaperRuler

Canon EOS Rebel T3

14. KoinJester

You have the half frame sensor . if you would get like a L series 180mm that is for the full frame sensor which will still work on the half frame , but your pictures would be cut off. If you can afford the L series 100mm that's the way I would go (better glass) . but nothing to worry about if you don't.

15. KoinJester

16. ReaperRuler

So do I need to get an L series lens to take pictures of coins? What you're saying is if I get the lens that Dave pointed out, my pictures will be cut off? Cant I just get a regular 100mm macro lens and have it work? Since these things are pretty expensive, I would like to know before I drop $500 on a lens only to have it not work properly...

17. john41

john41 Toned coins, I like them. If I have it so can you.

Hey Reaper the Canon 100mm macro USM lens is great for your camera. I have a T3i and that is the lens I use. The nice thing about it is that the lens does all it's focusing in the lens so it does not move. You can get them used from 300-450 all day long. The biggest thing you are going to need to learn is lighting. This is one [​IMG] of my images.

Draft saved Draft deleted