Macrinus upgrade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, May 2, 2016.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share with you another recent purchase - a Macrinus upgrade. Macrinus was from Mauretania, and the first emperor who was not of the senatorial class.

Macrinus AR Denarius. Rome, AD 217-218. IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PONTIF MAX TR P COS P P, Felicitas standing left, holding long caduceus and cornucopiae. RIC 21. 3.48g, 20mm, 1h.

Macrinus2.jpg
    I already have this emperor of course, but this one is much better. I love the portrait and don't mind the minor weakness on the reverse. My older coins that I've been replacing will appear on eBay at some point soon.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful coin. I just have a Tet.

[​IMG]
    Macrinus, (217 - 218 A.D)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Carrhae, Mesopotamia
    O: AYT K M OΠ CE MAKPINOC CE, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind.
    R: ∆MAPX EΞ YΠATOC, eaglestanding front, wings spread, head right, between legs crescent, star in left field, two pellets (second officina?) in ex; REV LEG?.
    Carrhae mint 217 - 218 A.D
    25mm
    13.9g
    Prieur 836

dlhill132, Cucumbor, stevex6 and 12 others like this.
  4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

A very nice upgrade indeed. His portraits can have quite a large variety of beard length. Yours has a very strong, striking portrait. Loads of eye appeal.

Martin

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Exceptional example Greg!!! I think the reverse is wonderful and the portrait about as perfect as they come---the details are stunning!

Like Mat, I have an attractive but lesser grade example----a Heritage slabbed photo that I never seem to be able to replace with a raw improvement:
    macrinus I obverse.jpg macrinus I reverse.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It does seem that Macrinus' main accomplishment in the time he was emperor was growing out his beard.
    rx0010bb1672.jpg rx0020bb1200.jpg

Does anyone have a Provincial with a long beard? Not all mine are as short as this one of Nicomedia but I do not have a really long one.

gi1560bb1879.jpg

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not I.

df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Fantastic portrait!

9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I believe both of the following bronze coins were struck in Antioch. Macrinus' beard is there as ever. Macri O.jpg Macri R.jpg Macrinus O      BMC 385.jpg Macri R.jpg

Mikey Zee, dlhill132, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

Sorry for posting the same reverse twice. Here's the reverse of the second coin. Macrin 4 Ex      SNG Cop 233.jpg

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Beautiful denarius Greg, and great coins everyone else!

12. 7Calbrey

I notice that in the 2 coins of Antioch, they right Macrinus in 2 different ways. One with C (MAC) and the other with K (MAK). That is Greek in a provincial colony?

panzerman and df oieddno edinssd like this.
  13. noname

noname Well-Known Member

How much does a more common Macrinus silver coin cost?

df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

With all the footnotes about grade and who is selling: You will need to shop around to get one under $200 but there are many half that and many times that rarely having anything to do with rarity. Macrinus is cheaper in Provincials.

panzerman, GregH and noname like this.
  15. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Macrinus Short Beard
    PHOENICIA, BERYTUS
    Astarte standing facing with foot on prow, holding standard; to right, Nike on low column crowning her with wreath; all within tetrastyle temple with pellet in pediment and stairway below.

Macrinus Temple PHOENICIA, BERYTUS Tyche in temple.jpg

Macrinus Short Beard Denarius w Securitas

Macrinus Securitas.jpg

dlhill132, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 9 others like this.
  16. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

It is not very clear just how long the beard is....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Macrinus
    Coin: Bronze
    IMP C M OPE SEV MACRINVS PI - Radiate head right – seen from behind
    COL F L PAC DEVLT - Priest veiled, driving two oxen
    Mint: Deultum (217-218 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 9.25g / 23mm / -
    Acquisition/Sale: $0.00
    Notes: Aug 4, 13 - This act was part of the city founding ceremony. Reverse die match with Moushmov Plate XXII (3)

dlhill132, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My fav Macrinus denarius Macrinus 3.jpg

And Provincial
    Macrinus 4.jpg

18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

One thing I love about this forum is you never know what you're going to learn when you post a coin. There's a sub-specialty in collecting all the different beard lengths of Macrinus portraits!

19. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Mine was under $200. But like Doug said, you'll need to shop around to find a nice one in that price-range.

panzerman likes this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A great upgrade!

10482199_758024524234461_6995696604986559527_n.jpg
    Macrinus, 11 April 217 - 8 June 218 A.D., Antioch, Syria

Bronze provincial as, McAlee 736; Hunter III, 243 - 244; BMC Galatia p. 200, 403 ff. var (busts); SNG Cop 234 var (same), aF, Antioch (Antakya, Turkey) mint, weight 2.175g, maximum diameter 17.8mm, die axis 180o, obverse AYT KAI M O CE MAKPINOC CE, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Macrinus, from the front; reverse KAI M O ∆IA ANTΩNEINOC, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust of Diadumenian, seen from the front, S - C flanking across field; from the Butte College Foundation, ex Lindgren; very rare bust variant;

dlhill132, stevex6, TIF and 8 others like this.
  21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

sweet denarius great, that is a stellar bust!

mine is a short bearded syrian tet..

[​IMG]

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Emesa. Macrinus, 217-218 AD. AR Tetradrachm
    O: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: eagle standing facing, head left, holding wreath in beak; between legs, radiate and draped bust of Shamash left. Prieur 1015. 27 mm, 12.9 g

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted