Macrinus Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I finally got to upgrade my shabby Macrinus AE As to a proper Sestertius.

Macrinus was the first Emperor not of Senatorial rank, but a lawyer, legal advisor to Plautianus, and eventually pretorian prefect. Being a lawyer myself, I feel quite sympathetic for him.

I am not going to bore you with the story of his rise and fall and just leave it with one sentence (courtesy of RIC) which sums it up: "Although the reign of Macrinus contributed little to the glory of Imperial Rome, in contrast with the venomous tyranny of Caracalla and the degrading buffoonery of Elagabalus, it must rank as an interlude of sane, if not brilliant statesmanship."

I have tried to do a little write up concentrating on the history of the history of the dies that were used to make my coin, nevertheless heavily relying on Curtis Clays brilliant analysis in Numismatische Zeitschrift, 93 (1979, p.21-40) and that of Dieter Salzmann in Jahrbuch des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts, 98 (1983, p.351-381)

After Macrinus was proclaimed emperor in Mesopotamia on April 11, 217, following the assassination of Caracalla three days earlier, the news of his accession must have reached Rome in the first half of May, 217.
    After public vows were performed for Macrinus and his son Diadumenianus, who had been proclaimed Caesar by the Senate, the Roman mint immediately began the production of a first emission in all three metals.

In the first four months of his reign, Macrinus was shown with younger features and a short, cropped beard (Type 1 according to Salzmann).

While the obverse legend IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS was not altered during all of his reign, the different emissions are distinguished by the evolvement of the reverse types and legends, which during the first emission conclude with P M TR P on the dated issues (showing the types of Felicitas, Fides, Jupiter, Salus and Securitas).

While he production of the regular silver denominations (Denarii and Antoniniani) was carried on in the same scale of his predecessor, the production of in gold and bronze was very limited.

In fact, it was so limited that only one single obverse die was used for the production of Sestertii at this stage (Die 1 in the appendix of Curtis Clay´s work, illustrated on plate 4, Nr.1). Curtis Clay found no less than nine reverse types combined with this die during it´s service life, but none of the first emission showing Felicitas.

Around late July 217, the first emission was succeeded by a second emission in all three metals, in which the legend of the dated issues was changed to PONTIF MAX TR PPP.

The production of Sestertii was still limited to the same single obverse die (Clay Nr.1). The Felicitas Sestertius of this type is listed as RIC 121 (Tinchant Collection).

Around 1 September 217, the short cropped beard is succeeded by a medium beard on the gold, silver and bronze coinage (Salzmann type 2).

To accomplish this feat on the bronze coinage, a second Sestertius obverse die was produced, likewise showing a cuirassed bust left seen from the front, but featuring a medium beard (Die 2 according to Curtis Clay). This ist the very die used for my coin (the Vienna specimen illustrated on Plate 5, Nr.24 in Clay´s article).

For the Felicitas type, it was combined with two reverse dies showing the goddess and the legend PONTIF MAX TR PPP (RIC 119, Cohen 80, BRMCRE 113, Sear 7391)

Next, around 1 October 217, on the basis of his new Consular ornaments, COS was added to Macrinus´ numismatic titulature, which now read PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP. Therefore,

Both obverse dies were now combined (amongst other types) with new new Felicitas reverse dies with the legend PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP.

Only one coin featuring a combination oft the short bearded Sestertius obverse die (Sear 1) with this Felicitas reverse has ever been heard of (RIC 140, Luneau Catalogue 1923, 1957. This is no surprise because the portrait on that die was soon re-engraved to feature a medium-sized beard resembling the one on the second (my) die. This second state of the original obverse die is documented in Clay´s plate 4, Nr.5.

The combination oft the medium-bearded Sestertius obverse die (Clay Nr.2) with the same Felicitas reverse is known as RIC 139, Cohen 66, Sear 7386.

This combination was used to strike my coin. There is a double die matching Sestertius on the market (Roma 04.05.2007 = Roma 02.10.2011= Künker 08.10.2012 = Roma 30.04.2016, https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1099613 , but I have no suspicion of either being a cast. Even though the other example is rated EF in the Roma 2011 catalogue, I find it inferior to mine, which was graded choice VF with Strike 5/5 and Surface 5/5 by NGC (I did free it from the plastic box at once :) ).

IMP CAES M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG
    Laureate and cuirassed bust right, featuring a medium beard, from the front
    PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP S C
    Felicitas standing facing, head left, long caduceus in right hand, cornucopia in left hand, drapery over left arm
    Sestertius, Rome, 1.Oct.-31.Dec.217
    20,5 gr, 31 mm
    RIC IV 139, Cohen 66, Sear 7386, Clay Nr.2

P1970795 (1).jpg

P1970787.jpg

The Sestertius output was then (October 217 onwards) increased by creating eight more obverse dies, all featuring longer beards (Salzmann type 3), some showing Macrinus cuirassed bust from the front (Clay Nr. 4, 7 and 11), while others differed in showing his bust not only cuirassed, but also draped (Clay Nr. 3, 5, 6, 9, 10). The medium-bearded die Nr.2 was not recut.

When Macrinus took up his first real consulship on 1 January 218, yet another change in the numismatic titulature occured, as the Roman mint, without awaiting his instructions, changed the reverse legend to COS II, which resulted in PONTIF MAX TR P II COS II on the corresponding Sestertius types, the Felicitas type being known as RIC 155, Cohen 95.

This was reverted to PONTIF MAX TR P II COS PP around 1 Feb 218, the Felicitas type of this is listed as RIC 149, Cohen 84.

There is also an undated Felicitas type Sestertius with the legend FELICITAS TEMPORUM, minted during Macrinus’ second Emission, RIC 172, Cohen 16, BMCRE p. 524, Sear 7376.

Macrinus’ second Emission ended in early March 218 and with it not only the use of my coin´s classy obverse die and with it the medium length beard alltogether, but also the use oft Felicitas on Macrinus coinage.

Amit Vyas, GregH, Finn235 and 38 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

A lovely coin! Worthy of any collection. I am jealous!

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Absolutely beautiful!!

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  5. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Great coin:)

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Majestic is a word that comes to mind.
    Great coin!

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a great coin. It is interesting how long the low production of bronzes lasted. After a real glut of coins under the Antonines and a good number in the first year of Septimius, production really fell off until sometime in the reign of Severus Alexander. I have heard the explanation that there were so many excess coins from before 193 in circulation that it took a while to need many. I wonder if there is more than this to the matter.

PeteB and Julius Germanicus like this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Total eye appeal on that sestertius----it has everything I would want in an ancient coin! Great write-up as well.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

A sestertius that looked like that would be a winner if it was of the most common emperor, but Macrinus, dude, you are just showing off!!!

Theodosius and Julius Germanicus like this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, that's an outstanding coin... congrats on the acquisition!

13. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    A sestertius out my collection securitas Temporvm
    A young Macrinus

Andres2, icerain, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  14. Julius Germanicus

Wow, Ro! I like yours, too!!! That is RIC 205, BMCR 106, C 129, Sear 7401 :)
    Do you have further info on it´s history? It is obviously not Clay´s obverse die Nr.1, but could be dies 6, 9 or 10 (draped AND cuirassed), which he found combined with FELICITAS TEMPORUM. I thought those dies had bearded portraits, but I have not seen pictures of them so that could be an error. There are more early Sestertii on acSearch (but none with Securitas seated) that I cannot fit in there (there was no internet in 1979 and there must be twice as many Sestertii of Macrinus known now...).

Personally, I think the early imperial issues of Macrinus with the short cropped beard (Salzmann type 1; all Antoniniani, the Denari of emission 1 and those of the first phase of emission 2 before September 217, and early Sestertii) are of fine style (that is why they have always been attributed to the mint of Rome) but somehow resemble a prototype for the generic Soldier Emperor portraits in the years to come.

The late issues of Macrinus after October 217 featuring a long beard (Salzmann type 3 and 4 including Denarii and Sestertii of third phase of Emission 2 onwards) are more and more developing towards a less realistic, more abstract, eastern, provincial style (that has been called artistically inferior by some) to the point that Macrinus begins to resemble Pescennius Niger (that is why they used to be attributed to Antioch until Curtis Clay´s die analysis).

These rare intermediate coins with a medium beard (Salzmann type 2, second phase of Emission 2 between September and October 2017) however in my eyes show the most sensitive portraits of all of Macrinus coinage, more like a late Sestertius of Geta.

PeteB and ro1974 like this.
  15. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your great history on my coin

Laureate head of Macrinus right "IMP CAES M OPEL SEV MACRINVS
    AVG" Securitas seated left holding a scepter "SECVRITAS TEMPORVM SC" RIC VI 205 It is not Alexander he those not use SECVRITAS TEMPORVM SC" (Cited from:

All the info i have by my coin
    23.01g

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Julius Germanicus and Alegandron like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

"Wow" is the only word that comes to mind right now.

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

THAT is a gorgeous and tough coin to find RO! Well done!

Julius Germanicus and ro1974 like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice and a very nice history write-up! Thanks for the detail. I love the history / info behind a coin

19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely coin and of very fine style! I'm envious.

Interesting write-up about the coin, too--that's what ancient numismatics is all about!

20. Julius Germanicus

Actually, according to C. Clay´s study, Macrinus´ Sestertii were struck with only 15 obverse dies in total, as compared to 11 Aureus dies (interestingly, the sole short-bearded Aureus die was also recut to show a long beard for the second emission, like the first Sestertius die!!).

Consequently, Macrinus´ Sestertii nowadays are much closer to gold coins in rarity than to silver (as one would expect). ERIC II accordingly knows of only 38 Sestertii being publicly sold in the last 15 years as compared to 14 Aurei and no less than 405 Denari, a fact that shows that there must have been more than 200 Denarius dies in use.

This shows that the production of Sestertii (and the even rarer Dupondii and Asses) during these years is not likely to have happened primarily out of economic reasons.

PeteB and Alegandron like this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Beautiful sestertius and very elegant patina, a keeper.

Sadly, I don't have any sestertius of his to share but a middle bronze sized provincial bearing a good portrait

[​IMG]
    Macrinus, Bronze struck in Nicopolis
    AVT KM .... H MAKRINOC, Laureate and cuirassed bust of Macrinus right
    V M AGRIPPA NIKOPOLITWNPROC IC TR, Tyche standing left, holding cornucopia and rudder
    14.26 gr
    Ref : ANMG #1710

Q

Spaniard, Edessa, PeteB and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted