Featured Macrinus from HIERAPOLIS CASTABALA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Just won a coin of Macrinus from Hierapolis Castabala last week-end. Where is that city? I had to do some research :
    Hierapolis Castabala was a city in Cilicia (modern Turkey). In Hellenistic times, it was called Hieropolis. During the Roman Empire, the city was part of the province of Capadocia. Since the city lies in the valley of the Ceyhan River, in ancient times known as Pyramus, it was frequently called Hierapolis ad Pyramum. The main communication axis of the city is a colonnaded street, 650 feet long and 35 feet wide, running from east to west.

[​IMG]

Many columns have been preserved to our times. Moreover, some of them are still decorated with capitals of Corinthian order. To the east, it is possible to discern the traces of the Temple of Artemis Perasia. On the eastern side, you can also find a theater, with 15 rows of seats remaining.

[​IMG]

A steep hill, 115 feet high, rises above the city. In ancient times it was most probably functioning as the Acropolis of Castabala. Today, its peak is covered by the ruins of a medieval castle.

[​IMG]

Hierapolis is not a major site and not a great deal is known about it accept that Alexander the Great passed through in 333 BC. In the later centuries, the Emperors Trajan, Hadrian and Caracalla visited Castabala and were honored by the people of the city by their sculptures during these visits. In the 3rd century, after the unrest of the Roman empire on the eastern border, many Roman troops passed from the region to the east.
    The city had a mint since at least the 2nd century BC, but the imperial coinage begins under Antoninus Pius and ends under Gallienus. The coinage seems to have been important during these 120 years. The mint was active under the reign of the emperors : Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, Lucilla, Lucius Verus, Faustina Minor, Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Diadumenian, Macrinus, Elagabalus, Trebonianus Gallus, Volusian, Valerian I, Gallienus.
    Now I present you my new baby and I'm curious to see what you can show us from a small town with an almost unknown history : Hierapolis Castabala

Macrinus Ae Assarion
    Hierapolis Castabala 20mm 6.06g
    AΥT K M OΠ MAKΡINOC CЄB
    IЄPOΠ KACTABAΛЄΩN
    Nike advancing left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm with her left.
    931C675E-437B-4586-81DA-E39F2DC97202.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice writeup & coin.

[​IMG]
    Macrinus (217 - 218 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right, from front, younger features with medium beard.
    R: PONTIF MAX TR P COS P P, Jupiter standing half left, nude, no cloak, thunderbolt in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand.
    2.73g
    20mm
    Rome Mint, Sep 217 A.D
    RIC IV 15 (S), RSC III 55b, BMCRE V 31, SRCV II 7342, Hunter III

Maxwell Hunt Collection

[​IMG]
    Macrinus (217 - 218 A.D)
    Carrhae, Mesopotamia
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: AYT K M OΠ CE MAKPINOC CE, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind.
    R: ∆MAPX EΞ YΠATOC, eaglestanding front, wings spread, head right, between legs crescent, star in left field, two pellets (second officina?) in ex; REV LEG?.
    Carrhae mint 217 - 218 A.D
    25mm
    13.9g
    Prieur 836

5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Nice write up, thank you!

A coin from an earlier era:
    [​IMG]
    Cilicia, Hierapolis – Castabala. AE coin, circa 2nd-1st century B.C.
    Obverse:
    Turreted, veiled and draped bust of Tyche right; monogram to left.
    Reverse: IEPAΠOΛITΩN TΩN ΠPOΣ ΠYPAMΩI THΣ IEPAΣ KAI AΣYΛOY. Eagle standing left.
    Reference: SNG France 2221 ff; SNG Pfalz 547.
    10.17g; 20mm

6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Every time I read your display and write-up @octarinechix, I feel the combination of History and Geography. It's live and cheerful.. Original.

7. Ricardo123

Ricardo123 Well-Known Member

This fantastik one for sale 2 days ago. Unknown ruler maybe first century. From hierapolis.
    [​IMG]

8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

That's a nice one @Ricardo123 . Thanks for showing. I'm only taking a guess but could it be Trajan since he once visited the place ?

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Very nice presentation, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix !

Draft saved Draft deleted