Machine Doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by wlharts, Aug 24, 2019.

1. wlharts

wlharts New Member

Hi All,
    New to coin error identification. Found this 2000-P Maryland quarter that is obviously different than a normal quarter (everything thicker and less detailed). From my brief internet search it seems to be machine doubling, but may be something else?
    (Image on the left is a normal Maryland P Quarter, image on the right is the error Maryland P Quarter) coin_error.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. MD on the Quarter on the right. It also has lots more wear. The left has been less circulated but both are normal and worth face value.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I'd give ya a buck for the one on the right.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If I told you that I was taking your catnip away from you for a week, would you put me on "Ignore"?:hilarious:

Chris

derkerlegand likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The coin on the right is not an error. There is machine doubling plus die deterioration and normal wear all going on at the same time. All too common coming from the Philly Mint with it's poor quality control and using their dies to the bitter end. I can imagine also, die chips and cracks also forming later on this die. I have some around here and recall chips in the reverse numerals, both top and bottom.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

* History lesson...under that dome General George Washington resigned as commander in chief of the Continental Army.

Draft saved Draft deleted