Machine Doubling

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Caledoneus, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Caledoneus

Caledoneus New Member

IMG_3684.JPG I came across a 1972 D quarter via pocket change and I noticed some slight variances on the word QUARTER. After reading some posts about machine doubling vs. doubled die, I just wanted to make sure that this machine doubling and not a doubled die quarter. Hopefully the picture will do it justice.

Thank you,
    Caledoneus

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I’ll let the experts answer but I just wanted to thank you for actually reading through some of the threads that are relevant to your coin and making an educated guess. It would be awesome if more new posters did that.

Welcome aboard!

Caledoneus and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Caledoneus likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm sorry for calling you out and if this seems rude, but your advice isn't exactly all that helpful. That website you linked has TONS of information; too much actually. This coin is CLEARLY MD, so you should've helped the OP by first pointing out that it's machine doubling and then give a link within that website that shows how to identify the two. By posting that link, you might be misleading the OP into thinking that they have some sort of variety. I think it's wonderful that you want to help others, but you've got to dial in your advice a little more, if you truly want to help people out.

@Caledoneus please look at this part, titled "worthless doubling" it has good pictures and explanations of machine doubling. Your guess was correct, that it's MD. http://doubleddie.com/144822.html

Caledoneus and Hookman like this.
  6. Caledoneus

Caledoneus New Member

I would like to thank everyone for their input. The links were very helpful towards my clarification and understanding of machine doubling and doubled die. Always grateful.

Hookman and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted