Machine doubling Doubled die or both ???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jewels2017, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Does this coin demonstrate Machine doubling Doubled die or both ?

Screenshot_20170822-200501.png Screenshot_20170822-200639.png Screenshot_20170822-200724.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

None... I see DDD - Die Deterioration Doubling

Coin-Dude likes this.
  4. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Ok paddyman98 and is that all you see ?

5. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

6. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well jay420 at first I was thinking MD too but now I don't know ... Because you see the problem is the doubling on my coin is raised and the FLAT FIELD Is not raised right ? Infact the information that you cite when I read it states that flat field doubling is restricted to proof coins and since my Quarter is Actually a 1967 SMS Quarter . It can't be flat field .... unless they accidently put proofs coins inside my SMS case right . Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  7. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Strike, machine, flat field, who gives 2 dukes? Its worthless doubling. SMS is struck almost exactly like a proof only less polished. Sorry bout that just had to get that out there.

8. Jewels2017

Jewels2017 Active Member

Well First all steve.e you have to know what worthless doubling is . And as much strife that I've taken for being wrong about a coin it obviously does matter to some people so please settle down with all that . Infact everyone makes mistakes so there's no need to bring all that negative energy into the conversation About who give two dukes because most people that collect different varieties do care . And as to your comment that SMS COINS ARE ALMOST STRUCK EXACTLY THE SAME AS PROOF COINS WHEN THE SITE CLEARLY EXPLAINS THAT FLAT FIELD DOUBLING IS RESTRICTED TO PROOFS COINS THAT DOES MATTER AS WELL ... So sorry just had to get that out there .

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Nope, can't be flat field doubling because even though the SMS coins somewhat resemble proofs, they are only struck once. The definition of flat field doubling, in itself, requires the coin to be struck more than once. With that ruled out it can only be multidirectional MD (yes you can have machine damage in more than one direction on the same coin). It's NOT a doubled die.

Draft saved Draft deleted