Machine Damage... I don't see it or get it.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

After extensive searching, these are the photographic examples I found of counting machine damage.

[​IMG]

This type of damage is what I most commonly associate with machine damage and is caused by the coin wrapping machines at the end of the roll.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have seen this type of damage before as well where a large scuff appears on the coin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I own this coin which has a circular scrape on Jeffs shoulder and collar.

It is pretty easy to see that all of these coins have obvious damage and should be deemed problem coins. But when we have to scour the coins surface for an extended period of time to find the phantom damage, all it does is further hurt the credibility of the TPGs and calls into question their motives for deeming such coins problem coins. The coins posted by the OP do not have machine damage visible from the photos posted IMO!

C-B-D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Now if ANACS were to have net graded this coin for machine damage, I would have no problem with it.

[​IMG]

Look at the left of Jeffs collar!

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah Paul, I see the scrapes on the coins. And yes, I know about the tops of the letters not always filling in too. But when you look at those pictures of that dime closely, you will see that not only are the tops not filled in, they have no luster on them, and they also have small scrapes and lines through them. Just like what a rolling machine might do, scrape the luster off and leave lines and gouges behind. Look in particular at the B and the L.

Same kind of thing with the date.

As for what other members ? Chris and Larry both saw it before I did.

Here's the pics -

machinedime1 a.jpg

machinedime1 b.jpg

5. Lehigh96

Chris & Larry were both guessing what it could be. What do they think now?

If you know that those letters don't always fill completely then you also know that they will often bear a different luster profile as well. You can't possibly believe that a counting machine was able to completely remove metal from the lettering without doing any damage whatsoever to the fields. Your persistence that what you are looking at is counting machine damage is intellectually dishonest.

It took me less than a minute to find yet another example of a Mercury Dime with incomplete LIB on the obverse. And this time, it clearly shows the difference in luster where the strike incompleteness exists. Not only can it be seen in LIB but also in the WE of IGWT. This coin is a 1941 Mercury Dime PCGS MS68

[​IMG]

This is a common feature on Mercury Dimes, not counting machine damage. Tell me how many I need to post before you admit that they can't all be machine damage?

6. Lehigh96

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm with Doug on the merc is what I saw too the blown up pic makes it a lot more obvious to me. As to the Morgan I still don't see it could be just a classic example of pcgs napalming a coin for no reason

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Images of each coin with different lighting might tell us more.

9. Lehigh96

Maybe C-B-D will send the coin to me for further photography. @C-B-D , PM me if you are interested.

Paul

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer, but I'll crack it out and take multiple new pics and close-ups of the Morgan today for everyone.

11. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Found it! I'm an idiot. The holder was sort of hiding it. Guess I missed it when I sent it in with the 39 other coins.

Attached Files:

geekpryde likes this.
  13. Gordon McNorton

Gordon McNorton New Member

This is kind-a obvious. Yep - one of the end-of-roll coins. Worst (or best!) case of coin roller damage I've personally discovered. What to do with it? Damaged 2010 Cent.jpg Damaged 2010 Cent.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted