Macedonian Shield Coins AKA annymous Macedonian coinage/Does my mania have an end?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thracian Shield

LYSIMACHOS

[​IMG]
    Thrace -Lysimachos AR Tet 14.3g 28.7mm 305-281 BCE Alexander head-Ammon horns - rev Lysimachos Athena;
    Ex: Forum Ancient Coins

Seller's Attribute. I was assured that this was legit. Spoke with Joe when I purchased the Tet (captured another Tet at the same time.):
    Kingdom of Thrace, Lysimachos, 305 - 281 B.C., Portrait of Alexander the Great
    Silver tetradrachm, 14.309g, maximum diameter 28.7mm, die axis 180o
    Ephesus(?) mint, c. 294 - 281 B.C.;
    Obv: diademed head of Alexander the Great wearing the horn of Ammon
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ (king) ΛYΣIMAXOY (Lysimachos), Athena enthroned left resting arm on shield, transverse spear resting against right side, Athena holds Nike crowning name with wreath, ΣΠE(?) monogram under her hand
    ex: Roma Numismatics e-auction 5 (23 Feb 2014), lot 353;
    rare
    Ref: Apparently unpublished; Müller -, Thompson -, SNG Cop -, SNG Tübingen -, Armenak Hoard
    Comment: VF, high-relief unusual style portrait, toned, tiny flan crack, light marks
    This coin was previously attributed as Thompson 166, but that type has a bee under Athena's arm and a similar, but not identical, monogram in the exergue. We were unable to find another example of this type

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent coin. And excellent point!
    Why do I not have my Lysimachos tet in with my Diadochi MSCs?
    20190326_140125_5CCAFDA4-7F83-4C1E-B272-325191995DC3-406-000000AF818F6F98.png
    Even has the Gorgon boss on the shield:pompous:

Draft saved Draft deleted