Macedonia under Roman rule Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Sep 17, 2021.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

These come with other monograms and worn to a point that even I could have one. The appeal of the type to me is the fabric.
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Doug Smith Fabric
    The cup shaped die combined with good centering makes the obverse appealing. My reverse is off center compromising the thunderbolt. That may be why it was $153 in 1990 and would not sell for a lot more today. They are common coins now popular in high grades. Today, most common coins are popular in high grades.
    g30730bb0434.jpg
    Many use the term 'First Meris'. How many know what a 'Meris' was or how many 'Merides' there were? Who has one of these? This is definitely a case of #2 having to try harder. Read all of this CNG listing.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=175201

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/di...is_artetradrachm__ng_0052/469705/Default.aspx

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Nvb, DonnaML, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

μερίς is a rather loosy-goosey word in Greek, with a broad semantic range, but it basically means "part." We use it a lot in scientific terminology as the suffix -mere: sarcomere (part of a muscle), telomere (end part), centromere (central part), etc.

DonnaML and Voldemort like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great MSC, Doug! I've posted all about this recently. The Romans, getting tired of the Macedonian shenanigans, sectioned off Macedon into four parts, or Merides. The first Meris having the largest output of coins. The second and fourth being harder (and more expensive) to get.
    The fourth meris only produced coins in bronze:
    1900990_1620560327.l-removebg-preview.png
    And there are no known coins from the third meris.

My question is, why do you keep feeding this troll when time after time they've shown no appreciation for others attempts to enlighten them, but rather a disdain to those folks and a genuine enjoyment to try and make others look stupid (pretty poor attempts I might add)?

Nvb, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  5. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

If you remember that Heritage quotes prices after the buyer's premium (vs others who quote before) this went for $2600.

CNG auctioned two of these off yesterday. One was a Prokopov plate coin for $2,250. IMHO it's a much better coin than the OP. The second went for $1,500 and seems a tad bit below the OP copy.

So, the "CNG price" for this coin seemed to be 1750-2000, and CNG is already infamous for selling these types of coins higher. Therefore, the buyer paid a roughly 40% Heritage premium over CNG.

That being said, my suspicion is the OP is laughing all the way to the bank.

DonnaML and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted