M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus. denarius - new entry

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Oh, we'll mine is still from Nicolas. Sorry your's isn't. ROFL!! :cigar:

Volodya likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm glad you clarified that-- I wasn't sure which you meant.

Thanks for that research, Carthago! Hmm, the mystery remains. Have you dug up any examples showing the "corn-ear" or "corn-grain" control marks? I didn't see any likely candidates during a quick pass through ACsearch.

I had hoped to win a Cestianus denarius recently but alas, I was outbid by Clio :(.

I love an interesting pedigree and recently picked up a few of these ex-E.E. Clain-Stefanelli coins. Hopefully they will arrive within the week :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Carthago likes this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Thank you @Carthago for the research. I haven't find any myself that would get closer to mine than the one you found with that "fly ?"
    As TIF said the mystery remains, and the coin, above its provenance, is getting more and more interesting

Q

5. Carthago

I didn't really look for one, TIF. I was just looking for a match to Cucumber's coin. A quick look through CoinArchives didn't have anything jumps out me as a corn ear either.

TIF likes this.
  6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I saw this post a little late. I have seen many of these with various control marks. One problem with the attributions of the marks is that many are not entirely certain or even obvious. Many respected dealers describe them as various things which are not apparent to me. With this coin I think it is fair to say it is some sort of vegetation. But which? Possibly grain, lotus, simple bunch of leaves, etc. I dont think you will find too many who will agree on any attribution consistently. One auction house tends to describe their coins simply as 'control mark' in left field.

7. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

The control mark is unlikely a corn ear, as it looks nothing like the corn ears commonly found on RR coins (see the Norbanus reverse in Zumbly's post for typical corn ear rendering). I strongly suspect it's hanging fruit, possibly an olive sprig.

Carthago, Volodya and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yes, I change my thought: Olive sprig seems more logical.

Carthago and Carausius like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looking through Crawford's list of control marks for the type, I call dibs on the next one with a seahorse! :D

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oooops, I almost neglected to toss-in my example from this fella ...

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus AR Denarius
    Rome mint
    67 BC
    Diameter: 18 mm
    Weight: 3.77 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted and draped bust right of Vacuna, with attributes of Isis, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, and Victory; cornucopia below chin; bow and quiver on shoulder
    Reverse: Eagle perched right, head left, on thunderbolt
    Reference: Crawford 409/1; Sydenham 809; Plaetoria 4

M Plaetorius Mf Cestianus.jpg

Oh, and again => Q, congrats on scoring that fine OP-example, my coin-friend

11. Carthago

Another Plaetoria:

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus. Denarius 69, AR (18mm, 3.92g, 6h). Draped female bust r.; behind, crescent. Rev. M PLAETORI CEST S·C Half-length bust of Sors facing upon tablet inscribed SORS. Babelon Plaetoria 10. Sydenham 801. Crawford 405/2.

M Plaetorius Mf Cestianus SORS NAC Photo.jpg

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This thread had some beautiful and interesting coins. Here is my poor example of a Plaetorius coin
    M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus.jpg
    M. PLAETORIUS M.F. CESTIANUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS PLAETORIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Bust of an Vacuna right, wearing a wreathed and crested helmet, bow and quiver on shoulder, cornucopiae below chin
    REVERSE: M PLAETORIVS M F AED CVR Eagle right, on
    thunderbolt, head left
    Rome 67 BC
    3.7g, 18 mm
    Cr409/1; Syd 809; Plaetoria 4

13. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I need one of these. Nice OP coin and especially interesting control mark.
    Z - great first coin, your reverse looks like a ZZ Top flying guitar.

Cucumbor likes this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks, I definitely prefer this reverse in its rock n' roll orientation :D.

15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Gorgeous posts guys!!! it seems there are almost an infinite number of RR denarii that I still have not even a single example, not only by moneyer but by devices.

Carthago likes this.
  16. Carthago

Here's another Plaetoria, this time minting for Brutus.

Brutus and L. Plaetorius Cestianus, AR Denarius. (19mm, 3.78g, 12h). 43-42 B.C. Mint moving with Brutus. L PLAET CEST. Laureate and draped bust of Ceres to right wearing necklace and modius. Rv. BRVT IMP. Axe and culullus. CR 508/2. Syd. 1300.

One of my better provenanced coins:

Monnaies et Medailles, Oct 1984, Lot 475; Carlo Crippa Jan-March 1972 Lot 375; H.P. Hall collection, Glendinning, 1950, lot 647; Hess, Lucerne, December, 1933, lot 250; Vierordt collection, Schulman, Amsterdam, 1923, lot 495; Tolstoi collection, Hess, March 1912 Lot 787.

Brutus Cestianus Denarius Waddell 2013.jpg

Carausius, zumbly, Pishpash and 11 others like this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice.

Carthago likes this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coin and provenance!

TIF and Carthago like this.
  19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow @Carthago, I'm really impressed by that one ; thanks for showing it in that thread

Q

Carthago and Mikey Zee like this.
  20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Ditto!! Incredible coin in every way @Carthago !!

Carthago likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A beauty. I love to toning on it.

Carthago likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted