M. Plaetorius M.f. Caestianus - A Pantheon?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I just received a coin today that is quite interesting. I hadn't researched the symbolism of it until now.

Check out the portrait closely. It's a conglomeration of mythology symbolism. According to Crawford, it includes Minerva, Apollo, Isis, Diana, and Victory. There is a cornocopia in front of the bust so perhaps Fortuna as well? Literature seems unclear of the true identity. I read a coin description from an auction that called it a Pantheon: a reference to all the Gods. I like that.

M. Plaetorius M.f. Caestianus. Denarius 67, AR 4.00 g. Bust r. with the attributes of Isis, Minerva, Apollo, Diana and Victory; before, cornucopiae and S C. Behind, CESTIANVS. Rev. Eagle on thunderbolt; around, M·PLAETOR – IVS· M·F· – AED·CVR. Babelon Plaetoria 4. Sydenham 809. Crawford 409/1

upload_2016-10-19_14-1-8.png

Deacon Ray, Parthicus, Ajax and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whoa cool! About the best I can do is post an eagle on a thunderbolt:

[​IMG]
    Pontos, Pharnakeia
    Æ19, 8g, 12h; 120-63 BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev.: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, monogram to left, ΦAPNAKEIAΣ below.

[​IMG]
    Hiketas, Syracuse, BC 288-278
    AE, 20mm, 6.2g; 2h
    Obv.: Laureate head of young Zeus Hellianos left
    Rev.: ΣΥPAKOΣIΩN (upward on left undivided); eagle with wings open standing left atop fulmen

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have absolutely no problem with the idea of a Pantheon portrait but a lot of the personification ID's we use are probably based more on the way collectors of the 19th to 21st century looked at things than the people who issued the coins. Italian cities often had local deities which are not always fully understood today or maybe not even to Romans with a different regional background. I'm not sure how we are to tell whether is is a face that all citizens of one little town would recognize or a face invented by the moneyer. Whichever, it is a great coin. Mine is similar but, as would be expected, a lower grade example completely missing the AED CVR part of the legend which I consider significant.
    ra6800fd3287.jpg

Deacon Ray, David@PCC, Bing and 9 others like this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I had no idea such a thing existed. What a marvelous coin!

Carthago likes this.
  6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wonderful example!

Carthago likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

We think a lot alike Herr @Carthago Dude-Man... even though you are a young whipper-snapper... I love your capture...

I have TWO of those little buggers cuz I liked them so much:

This one was shot a little high off center...
    RR Plaetorius Cest 67 BC AR Den Helmeted Diety quivr cornu S-C Eagle tbolt S 349 Cr 409-1 O-R.jpg
    RR Plaetorius Cest 67 BC AR Den Helmeted Diety quivr cornu S-C Eagle tbolt S 349 Cr 409-1 O-R.jpg

This one was shot a little better on center...
    RR Plaetorius Cest 67 BC AR Den Helmtd Diety quiv cornuc S-C Eagle tbolt S 349 Cr 409-1 VF O-R.jpg
    RR Plaetorius Cest 67 BC AR Den Helmtd Diety quiv cornuc S-C Eagle tbolt S 349 Cr 409-1 VF O-R.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific examples everyone!!!

@Carthago That denarius is fantastic!!

I also snagged a lower grade example a while ago and the reference to the multiple deities was noted which interested me enough to purchase it and since most, but not all, of the legends are legible: rr cestianus purchase.jpg

10. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

The male head on the denarii of L. Julius Bursio, Crawford 352/1, is also generally considered to be a composite, bearing the attributes of Apollo, Mercury and Neptune. Here's one I don't think I've posted before:

[​IMG]

I love the description of this phenomenon as a Pantheon; I'd never seen that usage before!

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wonderful coin, @Carthago and all!

I don't have any Republican pantheistic deities but will happily sneak in few syncretic Provincials :D A denarius like the OP coin is definitely going on the BUY list :)

Serapis Pantheos. Serapis began as a purposefully fabricated deity, dreamed up by Ptolemy I and his advisors. Over the years Serapis was combined with more and more gods, culminating in Serapis Pantheos. Bearded like Zeus, wearing the horn of Ammon, the calathus (funky hat) of Serapis, radiate like Helios, trident of Neptune, sometimes shown with attributes of Nilus as well. One-stop godding :D

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Lucius Verus
    year 4, CE 163/4
    tetradrachm, 24 mm, 13.51 gm
    Obv: ΛAVPHΛI OVHPOCCEB; bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust left
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident behind shoulder; ∆/L in right field
    Ref: Emmett 2360 (4), R1; Köln 2148; Dattari (Savio) 9420; K&G 39.77

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    year 5, CE 141/2
    AE drachm, 20 gm
    Obv: Laureate draped bust of Antoninus Pius right
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident and cornucopia behind; L-Є in right field
    Ref: Emmett 1676.5, R1

Here's a syncretion with fewer deities, Serapis combined with Zeus Ammon:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 8, CE 123/4
    billion tetradrachm, 23 mm, 13.2 gm
    Obv: ...TPAI AΔ... ; laureate bust right, slight drapery; crescent before
    Rev: draped bust of Serapis-Ammon right; L-H across fields
    Ref: Emmett 895.8, R5; Köln 858; Dattari (Savio) 1481; K&G 32.258
    From a Hungarian Collection formed primarily in the 1930’s

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Carthago, that's a very sweet OP-example (congrats)

Ummm, I also happen to have quite a winna-winna ...

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus AR Denarius
    Rome mint
    67 BC
    Diameter: 18 mm
    Weight: 3.77 grams
    Obverse:
    Helmeted and draped bust right of Vacuna, with attributes of Isis, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, and Victory; cornucopia below chin; bow and quiver on shoulder
    Reverse: Eagle perched right, head left, on thunderbolt
    Reference: Crawford 409/1; Sydenham 809; Plaetoria 4

M Plaetorius Mf Cestianus.jpg

=> Vacuna Matata

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We see here the battle of the experts. Babelon started the Vacuna ID but Crawford favored Isis. Harlan opts for Fortuna but in a weak way recognizing that "I don't know" is an acceptable answer. Crawford is taken as gospel by so many collectors that going against him will require more concrete evidence than is likely to be put forward. I do not see Isis so prefer IDK.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Carthago like this.
  14. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

i just got back from a wonderful dinner (it's my 20th wedding anniversary; whippersnapper my ass! LOL). What great posts!! Awesome examples, several that have some really good detail that mine misses.

TIF's writeup on Serapis Pantheos, as is typical, rocks. Who could possibly accuse our CT board as lacking intellectual depth! She introduced us to one-stop godding; the Walmart of Worship! :cool:

As with Volodya, I also like the pantheon description. That is a word with weight.

Tony1982, Mikey Zee, Volodya and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted