Lysimachus Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kazuma78, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Or it's mane perhaps?

kazuma78 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Some stunning examples... but I'm still seeing Gorgons (though that last wonderful example sure has a nice mane) .
    Contemporary examples of Gorgons in other forms of art:

20200703_220704.jpg
    Bronze head of Medusa, circa 1st Century AD, National Roman Museum – Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Rome

200px-Mask_of_Gorgon_Medusa.jpg
    Gorgon Medusa 200 AD with wings at the top of her head (Romano-Germanic Museum in Cologne)
    20190326_140125_5CCAFDA4-7F83-4C1E-B272-325191995DC3-406-000000AF818F6F98.png

Alegandron, Andres2, Edessa and 5 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's gorgeous, @kazuma78. Loaded with eye appeal. Great style! When faced with a choice I'll take great style over higher grade any day :).

kazuma78 and ycon like this.
  5. BurrosCoins

BurrosCoins Well-Known Member

@kazuma78 Wow what a beautiful coin. A lot larger than I would have expected. Congrats.

kazuma78 and Ryro like this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

presentations-put-people-sleep.gif

You just woke up a post from near the beginning of the pandemic:doctor:
    Here's a bronze Lysimachos :
    IMG_0281(1).PNG
    Lysimachos

Kings of Thrace. Uncertain mint. 305-281 BC. AE (19mm, 3.75g). Helmeted head of Athena right / Lion leaping right, spearhead below. Müller 61; HGC 3, 1758.
    Former: Kairos

7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Thanks! It's quite a large flan and high relief in person. Looking back at the other coins I bid on around the time I bought this coin, I sure wish I would have bought more or went more strongly after some of the coins!

8. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Kingdom of Thrace. Lysimachos, 323-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm (31mm, 16.75g, 10h). Ainos mint, struck circa 283-281 BC. Obv: Diademed head of Alexander the Great to right with horn of Ammon over his ear. Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ/ΛΥΣΙΜΑΧΟΥ; Athena seated left, holding Nike, crowning the king's name, in her right hand and leaning with her left arm on shield; behind, transverse spear; in inner left field, thymiaterion above cult statue of Hermes Perpheraios set on throne. Ref: Muller 118. Good Very Fine/Very Fine, toned. Ex Pegasi 24 (5 Apr 2011), Lot 79.

Greek_Thrace_Lysimachos_ARTetra_Muller118_Pegasi0511.JPG

9. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

That's a perfect tetradrachm @kazuma78

This is mine , less than perfect:D

While both SNG Berry and Meydancikkale place this issue at Byzantion, Marinescu (pp. 25-6) doubts this attribution, noting a strong similarity in portrait style to certain Lampsakos issues. Similarly, Newell also saw a possibility of this issue being the sole lifetime issue at Byzantion, but was not convinced enough to place it there. However, there is consensus that this is a lifetime issue of Lysimachos:

28 x 30 mm, 16.534 g
    Byzantion, 306/305 - 281 BC;
    http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.81459 gives the date as 260 -190 BC, but than it could not be a lifetime issue of Lysimachos:confused:

Ref.: Thompson -; Meydancikkale 2705; SNG Berry 407; Müller 316

Ob.: Head of the deified Alexander facing r., wearing horn of Ammon. Anepigraphic.
    Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣIMAXOY Athena Nikephoros seated l., left arm resting on shield decorated with a lion's head, transverse spear in background; monogram ATP to inner left and below Athena's throne "ΘΕ", an abbreviation of ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ, "of the Athenians".

A lion was his personal device. A story popular in Roman times told that Alexander punished Lysimachus for trying to help Callisthenes, by locking him in a cage with a lion. Callisthenes, a historian who criticized Alexander 's adoption of Persian customs (particularly that he be regarded as a god), had been accused of treason and imprisoned. Lysimachus killed the lion by tearing out its tongue with his bare hands (Justin 15.3).
    upload_2022-2-1_21-8-37.png
    upload_2022-2-1_21-9-7.png

10. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

kazuma78 likes this.
  11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

missed this thread , great Lysimachos coins,adding another Tet:

P1150259best.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted