Lysimachus : Lysimacheia, Amphipolis or Lampsakos mint ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Montmercure, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Montmercure

Montmercure Active Member

Hello everyone, I am taking advantage of the heat wave which is currently raging in France to put some order in my collection.
    Seeking to locate the issue of the play below

2593535_1645265514.jpg KINGS of THRACE, Macedonian. Lysimachus. 305-281 BC. Æ Unit (19mm, 4.51g). Helmeted head of Athena right / Lion leaping right; kerykeion, monogram, and spearhead below. Muller 76; SNG Copenhagen 1153.

I found several possible locations for the strike:

- Uncertain mint: Savoca, Naumann (before 2018)
    - Lysimacheia (at CNG, Naumann after 2018)
    - Amphipolis (at CGB France)
    - Lampsakos if I rely on the identical monogram of this Tetradrachm below issued under Lysimachos (Sale: CNG 81, Lot: 216)

81000216v.jpg

Is there a way to decide on the place of minting of my coin?
    2593535_1645265514.jpg
    warm greetings !!
    François

spirityoda and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have a similar coin which I have listed as " uncertain mint"
    Kings of Thracia.jpg
    LYSIMACHUS KING OF THRACIA
    AE 20
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Athena right
    REVERSE: BASILEWS LUSIMACOU, above and beneath lion running right, small caduceus, spearhead below
    Struck at Uncertain mint, Thrace 305-281 BC
    6.1g, 20mm
    SNG Cop1149-51

Montmercure and spirityoda like this.
  4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have not done much research on this subject however. Margaret Thompson's study of the Coinage of Lysimachos in Essays Robinson (1968) appears to corroborate the assertion made by CNG that the Herm symbol combined with that monogram is from the mint of Lampsakos. Her introductory study does show that symbol and the monogram but not on the same coin but in the same sequence. Based on that information I would have to concur that the ae posted above by @Montmercure is from the mint of Lampsakos. However again I must emphasize that I have not given this problem much study.
    I also have a tetradrachm of Lysimachos from the mint of Lampsakos
    Tetradrachm of Lysimachos Mint of Lampsakos 297/6- 282/1 BC Obv Head of Alexander right with horn of Ammon over ear. Rv. Athena seated left holding Nike HGC 1750b 17.22 grms 30 mm Photo by W. Hansen lysimachos8.jpg

Montmercure and Bing like this.
  5. Montmercure

...........rather heavy compared to the coins I have seen. Athena's crest also looks different

6. Montmercure

Sorry for my late reply, it took me a little time to find Margaret THOMPSON's study .... which I thank you for giving me the reference.
    Indeed the coins described in 55 and 56 have the same monogram as mine.

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 20-52-49 Coin cn coin 7380 Corpus Nummorum.png

This monogram is not present in any other place mentioned in the study, which tips the balance on LAMPSACUS until new information.

In addition to that you make me know what a HERM is and this Hermes' symbol enters completely in my field of my collection.

For all this be thanked :)))
    François

Draft saved Draft deleted