Lysimachos, captivating Tetradrachmae

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MarcusAntonius, May 29, 2021.

1. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

Out of all Greek Tetradrachmae is there one type what keeps on drawing my attention: the fine styled Lysimachus with the portrait of Alexander.
    It's not only that Alexander & Lysimachus are both utmost versatile and interesting figures in the history of Greece and of mankind. Some of these coins are true masterpieces, such fine dies, so many details, lively expressive portraits.

Received yesterday two Lampsacus minted pieces, acquired them during a recent auction, impressive coins once you have feel them in your hand. The high relief certainly stands out once you flip them on the side.

Pergamun minted portraits are considered the most attractive, personal do I favor them as well next to Smyrna, Lampsacus and Kyzikos minted examples. At occasion a very attractive 'mint unknown' appears as well. Some collectors have extensive collections with extremely rare coins, impressive to see all these expressive portraits and staring eyes. Wonder if anyone here has a preference for a certain mint?

KINGS OF THRACE. Lysimachus, 323-281 BC., silver Tetradrachmae, different mints.

I Lampsacus, II Lampsacus, III uncertain mint, IV Pergamun, V Smyrna

LampsacusII.jpg

Lampsacus.jpg

H2961-L232532039_original.jpg

5215a.jpg 5215c.jpg

e9e3828d-1e3a-412e-8647-5cfd68d4350b_fullsize.jpg 0c0ab848-b50d-4a9c-af89-5c3dbfd729cd_fullsize.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Marcus, I especially like the second one with the herm on the reverse at left.

Here's mine:

P1150259best.jpg

4. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Nice pieces! I like the first 2 best. Here is mine:
    20200525_144836.jpg

5. MarcusAntonius

Nice coin! Can't get enough of seeing Lysimachus Tetradrachmae!

Andres2 likes this.
  6. MarcusAntonius

Thanks!

Yours is certainly a stunner! Great details, the hairs, mouth, those expressive eyes. Centering as well, overall a very Attractive example as well.

7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Thanks! I thought it was one of the most lifelike portraits I had seen so thats partially what attracted me to it.

MarcusAntonius likes this.
  8. MarcusAntonius

Lifelike it is! And he even looks alive as well, just looking at the mouth, the eyes. He looks content and even smiling. Deep respect for the artist who engraved the dies 23th centuries ago.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great clutch of Tets there, @MarcusAntonius !

I have several from Lys, but just one Tet:

LYSIMACHOS

[​IMG]
    Thrace -Lysimachos AR Tet 14.3g 28.7mm 305-281 BCE R Alexander head-Ammon horns - rev Lysimachos Athena

10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Very inspiring collection of these beauties:artist:
    20190326_140125_5CCAFDA4-7F83-4C1E-B272-325191995DC3-406-000000AF818F6F98.png

11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Beautiful and impressive coins, @MarcusAntonius, the drachms are also interesting:
    DEE5879C-D62A-4B5F-9186-0E72A537F14B.jpeg
    Kings of Thrace, Lysimachos AR Drachm, Ephesos, circa 294-287 BC
    Obv: Diademed head of the deified Alexander the Great right, wearing horn of Ammon
    Rev: Athena Nikephoros seated left, left arm resting on rim of shield, transverse spear in background, E-Φ with bee between to inner left; BAΣIΛEΩΣ to right, ΛYΣIMAXOY to left
    Ref:Thompson 168
    upload_2021-6-3_19-8-23.png
    Ephesos chief output was drachms although some tetradrachms and staters were struck. Lysimachos captured Ephesos ~295 BC and renamed it Arsinoe after his wife.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  12. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Many beautiful coins in this thread! Here is my one example.

[​IMG]

13. MarcusAntonius

Thank you all for your contribution, nice pictures!

So many nice Drachmae and Tetradrachmae are coming together in this thread. It is and it will remain a fascinating mint serie!

DonnaML likes this.
  14. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

Fantastic first two! Was able to visit your small town - nice square and church and historic organ:)

I have about 8 Lysimachos Tetradrachms, but only managed to create a collage with these 5 - Enjoy!
    95F195AB-3BF9-4E91-9567-52955390F735.jpeg
    34A512A1-F6F8-43CE-8309-8D2FBAC8AC6D.jpeg

15. MarcusAntonius

Muchos grazias 'El cazador', Haarlem is great, did you know that they have a great Brewery as well? It's also the beinning of 'El camino de Santiago de Compostella'.

Like all of them, and favor your number 4 & 5.

16. El Cazador

Thanks for the kind words!:) didn’t have a chance to visit the brewery, as I was with a little one in a stroller - so had to do everything in a rush! But loved the vibe of the town, i do agree with what most of the people say - Haarlem is unspoiled mini-Amsterdam, and it is soo close to Amsterdam. I am surprised that more people don’t visit it as a one-day getaway trip!

Lysimachos Tetradrachms, as you mentioned as well are one of my favorite Greek Tetradrachms, with exception, of course, Magna Graecia Tetradrachms.

but would love to see some more of your Tetradrachms in the thread, if possible:)

17. MarcusAntonius

You are welcome 'El Cazador', maybe the fact that more people don't visit it as frequent separates it from Amsterdam 'positive wise'.

Not able yet to show you more Lysimachus Tetradrachmae from my site, simply because this is all there is for the moment, found these five in the last six months.

Do try to collect quit some more, but on the recent CNG Triton, Roma, Leu and Ha auctions did I get seriously outbid, no it was more like fully annihilated, it was though o_O And like a cherry on the pie: did got seriously sniped during the common e-auctions.:( Some patience is needed before I am able to share more of these examples.

18. El Cazador

Ha, same here... but big auction houses tend to bring a lot of bidding activity, so I am trying to keep myself restrained from going over the limit I set - right a few seconds before close...but like @kazuma78 mentioned, there are some awesome coins coming up in mid-June auctions- so staying put for some action then!

kazuma78 and MarcusAntonius like this.
  19. MarcusAntonius

All what I know about the mid June auctions related to these specimen is the exceptional joint venture between NAC and Nomos AG plus a bunch of small auction houses who are trying to pick up a splinter of a bone. What kind of information do I miss?
    The whole numismatic world is watching this auction, it's like all the hungry wolves are on the loose and they come in pacts. Don't have much good hope of being able to acquire even one or perhaps two or more lots in this auction, and I have many on the bucket list.

20. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

The first one is from Abydos. The second is from an uncertain mint. Not even certain if it is lifetime or posthumous. Pics courtesy of CNG.
    Now I regret not having chased good style Lysitets aggressively when were more affordable

CB8838FE-6CF2-4773-9EDF-6F806E48A9AD.jpeg
    DF635E10-4500-4664-892C-189138FD383A.jpeg

Alegandron, Ryro, I_v_a_n and 14 others like this.
  21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've consigned this example in the upcoming Nomos auction as lot 76. It's of the attractive "Signed K" variety, finely styled on both sides, and a coin I've quite enjoyed owning. I have my eyes set on an upgrade to a gold stater; NAC has one in the upcoming sale but the estimate is strong so they are likely anticipating significant competition.

LysimachosK3.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted