Lynchburg commemorative

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TommyP, Oct 25, 2016.

1. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

One more time, I ask for thoughts on overall condition, grade. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Images aren't good enough to tell. All I can say is at least AU.

Take some pics with a camera, rather than a scanner, and preferably remove the coin from the holder, and maybe we can get a better idea.

4. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Will do that later today. Thank you.

5. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Okay. Are these any better?

Attached Files:

6. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Man, rough day. Hope this one holds up to some actual worthwhile value. :/ 1 out of 3?

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Xf details cleaned

8. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Geez. Thank you though. I soaked it in ez-est too long awhile back but, guess I knew that. This has been a crummy day. Oh well. Good thing that one was free too. Brutal today.

9. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I came to the party late. Not seeing any luster and I agree with the XF grade
    But I like the coin design. These old silver commems are cool

Grass Man likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the second set of pictures, and while the luster is dead (thanks to the soak), I don't see any definite wear. XF doesn't make any sense to me.

11. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Cool! I hope that's the case. I thought at least mid AU anyway but, these folks are the experts for sure, not me. Thanks for the input.

12. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

High points of wear for this coin on the obverse are: cheek under eye; hair above ear
    On reverse are breasts and The dress where her right leg is.

I see a lot of wear on the reverse especially on the dress. Hard to call it AU IMHO, at least from these pictures. Price only changes by a few dollars from XF to AU, so probably not a huge deal either way.

I do love the story behind this particular commem.

Grass Man likes this.
  13. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Thank you. I appreciate the input. Wish I hadn't bathed it but too late now. It looked more 'distinguished' prior. Now, just dull. The price for an education is what it amounts to.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You may be able to remove that cloudy, over-dipped look some. Microwave some water for 1 minute, pour in 2 tbsp of baking soda, then place the coin in it and cover with a touch more baking soda. Let it sit for 20 seconds, then remove it and rinse. Pat dry. Don't rub it. EZ Est leaves a cloudy residue when overdone.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

lynchburg.jpg This is mine, graded PCGS 64. The picture is sharper, and the lighting is different. The OP coin may even be better struck than mine on the ear.

ldhair and Whipps like this.
  16. Grass Man

Grass Man Member

17. Grass Man

Grass Man Member

I bought a couple of these in slabs. They are interesting coins as are the Booker T. Washington and Ulysses Grant commems.

18. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

I will do so. Thanks! If it helps, I'm all for it. Don't guess it can get much duller. I guess grading truly is subjective. It shouldn't be but seems it is. xf to au to ms are the ranges I got. Guess people see things differently.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  19. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Mr. Fix. My Lynchburg comm has (seemingly like magic) had much luster restored after doing as you suggested. It looks like a much different coin. Thanks again!

C-B-D and Paul M. like this.
  20. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

I'll have to re-post and show you. Night and day.

C-B-D likes this.
  21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yay! Can't wait to see the results! I did this with an over dipped Morgan a few weeks ago and it came back from PCGS MS65 PL!

Draft saved Draft deleted